• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Tii Engine Project. Found An Interesting Part.

PaulTWinterton

Oh good, I was looking at the right thing!

My car's Kfish has the circular date stamp visible from that angle, too.  I'd not seen it before, since it is blocked by various items.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Because I have no life, I went out and cleaned up that cap a little and took a picture of it.  

I'm hoping conserv will start a database of these different caps, because there looks like a few different kinds.  

No idea if mine is original or not.  I wasn't there for the first 15 years.  

Scott

image.jpeg

02ing since '87

3 hours ago, saaron said:

Because I have no life, I went out and cleaned up that cap a little and took a picture of it.  

I'm hoping conserv will start a database of these different caps, because there looks like a few different kinds.  

No idea if mine is original or not.  I wasn't there for the first 15 years.  

Scott

image.jpeg

Scott - I spy a genuine BMW hose clamp in this picture.  Excellent!

You've earned a taste of Creature Comfort's Tropicalia (made in Athens, GA).

http://www.creaturecomfortsbeer.com/beers/2014/5/7/tropiclia

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

13 hours ago, saaron said:

....I'm hoping conserv will start a database of these different caps, because there looks like a few different kinds.  

Better than that, Scott.  If everyone sends me their verboten screw caps, I'll make a Verboten Screw Cap Museum, to protect them.  When you're ready to take your car to a show, you would text me your car's VIN and I'd overnight the cap to you.  Not just any cap, the RIGHT cap!

Best regards,

Steve

Head Curator

Verboten Screw Cap Museum

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

You guys are too funny.  I guess it's par for the course that there would be different ones.  Another mystery.  I can see the display in the museum already.  

Jim thanks for the beer.  I didn't know I could win beer on FAQ.  It just keeps getting better.

I just find it surprising my car has that cap at all.  The fact that it does at least helps me understand why my casual efforts to find that screw were fruitless- I was looking for a screw, not a black cap.  Knock on wood my car runs well enough that I've not been tempted to mess with the KFish a whole lot.

Scott

02ing since '87

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

My dayjob keeps getting in the way of important things in life.

If your job is getting in the way, I mean, I would recommend quitting; we need more pictures of this engine.  You not having a job seems like a sacrifice we are willing to make. :)

Scott

02ing since '87

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the "autopsy" (pun intended).  No frozen bolts yet.  Threads look like they haven't seen daylight since the factory floor.  Inner intake components look clean, like the engine ran well. 

DSC03126.JPG

Another mystery part that I haven't seen before.  A spring on top of the WUR?  Who has this?  My car has never had one (since I bought it anyway).  I've looked at numerous photos and haven't seen one yet.

WUR_MysterySpring.jpg

VIN 2780601. 

VIN_2780601.jpg

No surprise on the head.

Head_Confirmation.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

This is fun for us, Paul -- well, at least for me!

VIN 2780601 should be a December 1973 car, so the November 1973 head (11 nubs) looks spot on for an original head. Does the right (exhaust) side of the block have a casting date?

The intake runner photo is ever-so-slightly from the wrong angle -- and the nubs are a bit "un-disciplined" -- so I can't tell if they're November (11 nubs) or December (12 nubs) 1973 castings.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

4 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I'm learning as I go along.  I hadn't figured out the "nubs".  Thanks.

Block_Datre.jpg

Block_heater.jpg

Intake_Date.jpg

Log_Date.jpg

Runners_Date.jpg

Cool, Paul!

So the block was cast October 31, 1973 ("31K73" where January = A, February = B, etc., although "I" is not used because of its ambiguity).

There's sometimes ambiguity regarding nubs, here and elsewhere.  The blank date roundel was divided into 4 quadrants by small markers at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'block.  Theoretically, the month nubs were added to the casting molds beginning at 1 o'clock-ish, and moving clockwise from there.  Again, theoretically, you had a maximum of 3 nubs per quadrant, obviously 12 nubs in all.  Where the nubs are not precisely placed, however, nubs sometimes flow into the quadrant markers, nubs sometimes bleed over into the adjacent quadrant.  Thus, you occasionally find 4 nubs in one quadrant.

Given those caveats, I'm thinking the intake manifold flange appears to be cast November 1973, the intake accumulator (plenum) appears to be cast September (or August?) 1973, and the four intake runners may vary in date from October and November (possibly, December?) 1973.

Thus far, it looks to me that all of these dated components are likely original to the car: none post-date the car's manufacturing date and all of the dates are concentrated just before the car's manufacturing date.  These parts were pre-manufactured and inventoried; it's, thus, not unusual to see four intake runners with two, or even three, different dates, albeit generally close dates.

Thanks for all the photos.  This really gives us a nice opportunity to see the range of casting dates on a typical M10 engine.

Best regards,

Steve

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

nubs are not precisely placed

That's for sure.  It's like a worker was asked to take a punch and hammer to change the date in the mold.  Eye-ball and smack.

Nobody has commented on the WUR spring.  I might have to make a dedicated posting.

Next up.  KFish removal and id.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

4 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

... It's like a worker was asked to take a punch and hammer to change the date in the mold.  Eye-ball and smack.

Nobody has commented on the WUR spring.  I might have to make a dedicated posting....

I believe you've nailed it, Paul!

And I haven't noticed one of those WUR springs...before this.  I'm still hoping someone will say, "Sure, they all had them, but they didn't do much, so we tossed them!"  My blue factory service manual is still packed away.  I was hoping to go through it carefully to see if the spring is shown or mentioned.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Spring on the WUR is needed and should be there.  Probably one of those deals where it was taken apart, put back together, ran ok even though there were a couple parts left in the tray.  However, if the folks in Munich thought is was needed, who are we to say it isn't.   I think you should be able to find one pretty easily.  

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged