• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here, possibly getting a 1600..

tonyv

For a running and driving car, $3500 is not too shabby.  As long as that is the only rust that is in the car, which is the main question here.  You may need to dig further into it if you are looking for a full resto project.  If its strictly to play with then heck yeah!!!  Check main structure integrity and you're good to go!!!

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

VIN 1567535 was probably manufactured in January 1969 (the 1969 U.S. model year began approximately September 1, 1968).  This is based on the VIN decoder provided by the BMW  2002 Car Club of Columbia and extrapolating from my VIN cheat sheet.  Note the side marker reflectors/lights that were mandated on '02's from from January 1, 1969 onward.

But emailing the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) will get you the actual manufacturing date, the date legal title passed to Hoffman Motors (or other, if not a Hoffman import), and a verification of the factory color (presumably Nevada).

I'm afraid my first official act if I purchased this car -- I'm not a buyer -- would be to have the tires flipped, to get those whitewalls out of sight.  Just to be clear: no good can possibly come from whitewalls on an '02!  ?

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Seats are from a later car, as are the instruments.  It's definitely a "second series" '69 as the dash shelf has ribs, which weren't added until sometime in March or April 1969.  Carpet is also a one piece from a squarelight, probably the same one that furnished the seats.  A Nevada car would have had tobacco seats and a multipiece greyish-tan carpet.

Wheel arches look good, but check the rocker rust thoroughly to make sure it hasn't penetrated the inner rocker (forms the door sill on the inside).  That's structural too.  Also check the engine number and post it--we'll be able to tell you what year 02 it came from.

And BTW, early 1600s came with whitewall, non-radial tires.  

mike

PS--69's have painted (dull silver) wheel covers--and those one-piece wheel covers also identify it as a '69.  If they have no round hole for the valve stem, they're the correct ones for a '68 or '69.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If it makes OP feel better, I just donated all the necessary hood trim (in good condition) as well as a non-tinted passenger window. It will probably get installed tomorrow. 

The floors came from one of my cars, as did a few other pieces. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

5 hours ago, mike said:

And BTW, early 1600s came with whitewall, non-radial tires.  

Fortunately....Hoffman Motors, our sole U.S. importer in those years, had the common and business sense to soon make radials -- black walls -- a "mandatory option".  Whew!  ☺️

Below is the window sticker from 1600-2, VIN 1563974, showing the Michelin XAS tire option.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Floor board rust is a hot mess since the car is a unibody design. Sort of like a college frat initiation ceremony to joining the 02 community. But if you have the time and money, its a journey that has rewards of knowing you saved an 02. Good luck.

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

Thanks, you guys are fking connoisseurs!

I did email about the vin and got this back "The BMW 1600 US VIN 1567535 was manufactured on January 03rd, 1969 and delivered on January 07th, 1969 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Nevada, paint code 001. "

The engine head is a E12, still got to find the engine number.

Bought the car BTW, got a long road ahead of me..