• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jrkoupe

1 hour ago, s4sprint72 said:

Steve makes a good point. The plastic cover fitted over the mechanism is a really poor design. These covers are easily damaged or even lost - as happened to my 1602 - especially on two door models by rear seat passengers scrambling in and out. The result may be additional damage to the recliner and/or tilt levers and their rachets.

Does anyone know of a more robust alternative fitment that doesn't require a lot of fettling to suit?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

That's a different point, but certainly one worth making!  The tan Recaro seats, and my black seats, and all standard '02 seats through the 1973 model year, have all-metal recliners.  So there are no plastic covers cracking and snapping off, and pinching fingers -- those problems began with the 1974 model year '02 seats!

Of course, metal recliners have their own problems, in addition to my aforementioned tilt-forward handle issue.  Problems like rust...

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

Just for your info anyone that covets the original Turbo seats for anything other than a real turbo is out of their mind unless you weigh under 135lbs.  As cool as it might be to have a set they are the most uncomfortable BMW seat I have ever sat on.  I can go about 2 hours before my leg goes to sleep, 3 hours and I limp for a couple of days.  I have not had anyone but my 14yo nephew in the car that has thought they were comfortable. 

Are you calling us fat?  ?

Best regards,

Steve

53 minutes ago, barney t said:

even on Sesame Street they can tell which one is not like the other one...one has seven darts/seams and the other one has six...

On Sesame Street they´re young and have good eyes. They would see the seventh seam sitting there down low.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

31 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

Just for your info anyone that covets the original Turbo seats for anything other than a real turbo is out of their mind unless you weigh under 135lbs.  As cool as it might be to have a set they are the most uncomfortable BMW seat I have ever sat on.  I can go about 2 hours before my leg goes to sleep, 3 hours and I limp for a couple of days.  I have not had anyone but my 14yo nephew in the car that has thought they were comfortable. 

I´m 6`3 and about 220. Personally I do like Scheels more but the turbo Rentrops are OK to me as far as the comfy feeling is concerned. Really bad to me are the old Recaro Idealsitz. Especially if they´re freshly redone with new straps and new foam parts the backrest already ends way below my scapulas - somehow just to small for me.

But the turbo Rentrops for sure have disadvantages:

- they´re expensive

- they´re quite heavy

- they´re not really durable - the majority of those I had in hands for reupholstery came with cracked frame tubes (very often in the back of the bottom part where you clip in the center section´s separate frame part) or the tilting mechanism was bent and out of function

- they only have a quite small range for adjusting the angle of the backrest

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Are you calling us fat?  ?

Best regards,

Steve

Not at all Steve, just not slender enough in the trousers to be comfortable in these seats.  I know from PERSONAL experience!!   LOL

All the Best

Byron

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I still like my seats. They were $1500 but came with a car with a blown motor, and matching rears.

IMG_6096.jpg%7Eoriginal

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

20 hours ago, ray_ said:

I still like my seats. They were $1500 but came with a car with a blown motor, and matching rears.

IMG_6096.jpg%7Eoriginal

Cheers,

Ray,

$1,500 for a pair of factory option Scheels (and a custom backseat upgrade to match)?  Outrageous.  Why they couldn't be worth less than.....$4,000!  ?☺️

I knew you had them but I didn't know how you got them.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve, how did you put a value on them? Have you seen some for sale? :D

Remember, the car was included as well. I gave that to a friend.

The ad was on bimmers.com and I was overseas at the time, but the car was walking distance from my friend's shop in Cali, and also where my car was stored. I lucked out indeed.

The PO told me the seats were out of another '02, but I never asked which. I've not seen these seats on U.S. cars (or others, actually).

Cheers,

Edited by ray_
speeling

Ray

Ray,

should be Scheel 200 (or 201 if they have tilting backrests) from what I can see from your picture and as Steve says.

BMW options/accessories brochure:

Ray BMW.jpg

Scheel brochure:

Ray Scheel.jpg

Best regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Thank you for that Lars.

Oddly my adjustment controls are somewhat different from the brochure illustrations...  any comments?

Cheers,

IMAG4532.jpg

Ray

That´s the later type of hinge like used on the 203s that followed the 200/201s.

Scheel 203 Cord schwarz seitlich 2.jpg

Never seen a combination of hinge and seat frame like on your seats before. Maybe very late examples of the 201s?

Keep an eye on those plastic covers, if they´re still OK. Those are always broken and other than for the late stock seats you can´t buy new parts anymore. Already fabricated a small series of metal covers myself to have some spares for the seats still in my storage.

Scheel Blenden Vergleich vorn.jpg

Best regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Ray,

That's Cahsel pricing for bona fide factory-option Scheels in excellent condition.  There may well be none on the market at a given time, or even most times.  Restorable Scheels, of the same period, and same basic model, would be a fraction of that price.  There's a small number of '02 collectors -- or possibly car collectors who have an '02 -- that pay very high prices, privately, for rare factory and aftermarket pieces, e.g., quick-ratio steering boxes, Alpina A4 injection systems.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv