• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grungy engine I took apart on New Years Eve...Lots o' pics

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

panviewsmall.jpg

URL: http://www.winnsecurity.com/norcal02

hehe, check this out guys:

Cant beat free but I was hoping it wouldnt be all corroded inside like it ended up being. Hell, there was even water in one of the barrels. lol. I'll have to either sleve this block or bore another one grin.gif

125-2579_IMG.jpg

Interesting, only 3 screws holding the cam sprocket on. I'm sure it wasnt actually run this way. Well, I can hope anyway.

125-2580_IMG.jpg

EEEEEEEEW!! This is exactly what I didnt want to see. They're already bored out far past the 2nd oversize so it shouldnt (maybe even couldnt?) be bored again. It would need either a sleeve job or I'd have to bore one of my other blocks and hope the bearings fit. Maybe I'll just shell out the cash when I finally get enough to sleeve it. Up in the air right now though.

125-2581_IMG.jpg

Nasty water...

125-2583_IMG.jpg

Wow, there were leaves in it too! lol

125-2585_IMG.jpg

It had no lower timing chain cover on it so water mixed with oil and made this goopy crap.

125-2586_IMG.jpg

Plus some more that was easily poured out of the pan.

125-2587_IMG.jpg

Just another..kinda muddyish.

125-2588_IMG.jpg

Call me stupid, I dont care, but what does that little pushrod thing on the right do?

125-2593_IMG.jpg

89.97, quite oversize...

125-2598_IMG.jpg

The crank, must be an s14 one to get ~2.2L with a barely-over bore size? I know ya probably cant tell from that pic, and sucks for me cause we dont have any scale or anything that I can weigh it.

125-2599_IMG.jpg

Misc parts-and-stuff. I'll be replacing the bolts and things.

126-2603_IMG.jpg

Most of the rest of the engine. I think everything is salvageable except for the block, its pretty toast. And everything else that would normally be scrapped in a rebuild...

Guest Anonymous

that is, rebuild one engine, I am amazed what

these youngsters know now a days...I have met

quite a few lately that have taught me a thing or two

about cars. I have also run into some old farts that

are full of "negative learning", and think they are

"experts" just because they have been around.

But, here are also some old farts that have such

clear understanding that are able to explain things

in simple terms. Quite a few on both boards.

Justin, hurry up and let's drive!

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

MM made an "in-house" crank in the mid to late 80s that had a bad life expectancy. They changed to a stock M10 2002 crank in the early 90s , and they continue to use basic 2002 M10 internals on their 2.2 engines to this day( see website). They achieve 2.2L from overbore. Rods are "peened", as are other parts for extra strength. (guys who build 2.3 litre M10 strokers typically use the S14 crank ). Looks like you have a project ahead- but you have some good parts to work with. Those pistons are expensive. That pushrod is part of the chain tensioner,i think. is that the engine that came with the blue stripe 02? or is that another engine? I remember you had a MM 2.2L engine: did not know if it was running in the car, or if it was "in disuse" as this one seems to be. Take a good look at that crank: if it was an older MM crank or shows signs of welding- get rid of it and just put in a M10 stock crank. We now think that my 1988 MM 2.2L engine did not lose a main bearing, it may have suffered a broken crank! We will never know for sure , because part of the deal was to return the low end core for destruction by MM ,as is,: i kept the E12 head with their proprietary valve turbulence cuts. Plan to rehab that head with the Schrick 292 in it and put that on the Sahara to replace the MM 278 asymmetical cam that i have now and that is a really nice cam, but I can get even more oomph with the Schrick and the 40/40 DFAV. Keep up the good work- you will see improvement every day now that the beast is opened and ready for restoration.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

on an engine stand in some state of build. it is really frustrating to do work at another place and load/unload all tools, etc. some day.... i really respect the guys who undertake the engine rebuilds too: takes guts to tackle the project and one can really relish the result. of course, i did have a friend who rebuilt his wife's samuri engine on their kitchen table : it was there for a month or so- she did not complain cuz it was for her vehicle, lol. Made dinner time highly interesting.

Guest Anonymous

mvc-013e.jpg

this head was pulled after blown head gasket. it was on top of 9.5:1 pistons, and measured 30 thou shy of minimum thickness.

why the dimples? valve train is fresh, obviously sent out as viable by MM.

is it worth saving?

thanks,

robert

Guest Anonymous

Turns out the info I had on that engine was completely wrong. I had the components explaned to me when my level of understanding was essentially "smile and nod." The engine was built by a former MM tech and I had told Justin that. I was under the impression it was a 2.2, but I just talked to my friend that installed it in my car. It was a Tii engine - seriously overbored with mahle high compression pistons. The fried head was stock (and I told Justin that as well).

I screwed up everyone. My friend had been out of town when I was getting rid of the car and my representation was a jumble of memories from about 5-6 years prior. Sorry again Justin. I hope you can make something of the assorted parts from the engine.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

here is pic of my MM 2.2 L E12 head that came off the 1988 engine. note the hand cut "disruptors" . Since that time, they have a machine that makes the cuts all uniform and nicer. Never seen dimples before. Oh boy- another dimple-gate situation, lol.