• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 2000tilux - restore / rebuild

02tom

Don't see these NK cars up for sale locally very often, and this one hasn't sat outside very long at this point from what the pictures show and the owner represents it as.  Dual Solex's are included, as is all the trim but may be missing the front bumper.  Head is off the engine and has problems, would have to file for lost title, rust in the fenders (& more?).  I'm interested in going to look at the car even though I don't need another car, especially a full restoration project, but someone should save it since it hasn't been outside in the weather for the last 30 years.  Obviously it would be a labor of love.  Interior needs a complete re-upholstery/carpet.  It's also about 30 miles away, so towing it won't be cheap.  Someone talk me out of it before I go look at it!  With the asking price, the title work, and the tow - I will already be into the car for $2000 easily unless he can be talked down on the price.

Edited by 02tom

I knew I was asking in the wrong place to get any negative feedback!  I won't be able to look at it for a couple of days, so maybe it will be gone by then.  It looks like a good candidate to just get driveable and not worry too much about new paint and trim and just drive it.  I've had dual solexes before, and there's nothing quite like the sound of them!  Never did get to drive that car with them because they leaked so bad on shut down I went back to the Weber at the time.

I'm trying to set up a time to go look at least, need to see how bad the rust is if the car is even still available.  I'm also going to check into the process for titling the car and what I would need to get upon purchasing the car - notarized bill of sale or what - if there is even any way to title the car without a title at this point.

3 hours ago, 02tom said:

....I'm also going to check into the process for titling the car and what I would need to get upon purchasing the car - notarized bill of sale or what - if there is even any way to title the car without a title at this point.

It varies widely from state to state.  Some states, e.g., Maine, Georgia, don't even issue titles for older cars, so a bill of sale is all you'll ever get or need.  In many states where titles are required, there are titling/registration expeditors who -- for a fee, of course -- can speed or facilitate the process of obtaining a title for a vehicle missing its title.

2000tiLux always sounds good to me!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

There's some previous repairs in several of the panels poking thru, and there's the front end damage and rust.  There's so much potential though...  Anyway, it ended up with it following me home.  One surprise was the new nose panel he had with the car!  Of course it is a huge undertaking and would require both fenders to be replaced judging from their condition.  The only other rust is behind the rear wheels in the quarter panels, which I'm hoping is something that can be taken car of without replacing the entire quarter.  The title could take several months when I try to file for it.  Bill of sale won't work for Oklahoma unfortunately. 

The car is mostly complete minus the head and valve cover - not sure how hard these heads are to find; are they the same as an '02 head?  Fortunate the dual carbs are with the car and the air filter canister is complete.  I think the engine block may be salvageable - letting it soak in oil for now.  Not sure how wise this was to buy, but somehow I just enjoy saving these cars.  I can always part it out to get my money back, so we'll see...

_135256s2.jpg

Good save !

U.S. spec headlights and all.

How is the condition of the interior?

I'd like to see a pic of that too.

That nose clip should swap w/o needs quarters.

Or, I bet you can get the current one in presentable condition.

There are people on this NK board that can help with questions, parts, etc.

Good luck - jim h.

The interior is pretty roached, but I've seen worse.  The AC even looks to be all there except the compressor.  There were multiple sets of engine gaskets included - I've never seen so many gaskets before!  I don't know why the interior is in such poor condition as there's not rust thru in the floor boards.  The driver's side fender may be salvageable, but I don't think the driver's side will be.  I spent half the day cleaning and put a different set of wheels on it to make it moveable, so I'll take some tomorrow of the interior now that it doesn't have all the parts and boxes in it anymore.

_110930s2.jpg

Edited by 02tom

Not as bad as I feared. Having another nose panel is huge. I got one from Rey for my car. He might have a drivers side front fender. Hope the frame is straight

Keep the inertia going and get it straightened out. The majority of the engine parts are compatible with the 2002. What year is it ? The early ones pre 69 ( ?)  have the early sub-frames. Engine mounts and bushings are unavailable. Replace that with a 2002 subframe to save yourself lots of grief. some of the bushings and strut tower bushings are the same from a 2800- 3.0 coupe.

Yes please post lots of pictures and we can help tell you what you have. Is that color Caribe ? One of my favorite colors. Might be Rivera though. Is the interior grey. I will have some extra TiLux Black door panels.

BMW TiLux brochere.jpg

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

Unfortunately the car isn't saved just yet - it will take several months likely to see if it can be titled, or if the seller's stories hold true.  I don't have any reason to disbelieve anything I was told while talking during the course of the sale, in fact, I quite believe everything that was told to me based on there's been nothing in retrospect that I found not to be true.  This has not been the case in previous sales, where even after I've have committed to buying a car, the seller continued to talk and what they were saying just wasn't true.  Why do people do that?

A couple of mildly humorous aspects of the sales pitch were the Pirelli's and the original BMW battery, which once I got it out after quite a struggle, could tell it still there because it was almost not removable because of the crushed panels.  Just like finding out the nose panel was new and not one cut off another car, finding two virtually new brake rotors was a plus that wasn't mentioned in the ad.  I've got some tii brakes should they be a match for the car, I could use them also, but for now I'm thinking factory equipment will be best for this with as few mods as possible.  The car is indeed Caribe with a formerly grey interior.  I thought it looked like Riviara also, or at least Oxidized Riviara.  I took the rear seat bottom out and cleaned out a rat's nest that didn't look like they'd taken up residency for too long I guess.

Thanks Joseph for the tech tips on the subframe.  I've got an extra '02 reinforced subframe that I set back when I'd taken some to be welded on.  That will definitely be on the to-do list when I really start to dig into this project.  With the summer's heat back today, and pending title research and hopefully application, and I'm probably going to cool down on this as a project for a few months until I see how it goes since I've never done it before.  But that doesn't mean I'm not a little excited about this!

DSC04592s.jpg

DSC04595s.jpg

DSC04603s.jpg

DSC04604s.jpg

Awesome- The grey interior is rare and I think very interesting. Lots of work but take your time obviously. If you can drive a running NK to feel the difference between an 02 then you will really be motivated !  Good luck on the title situation. I have confidence that it will work out. What year is it ?  Please post the vin

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152