• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 2000tilux - restore / rebuild

02tom

2 hours ago, NickVyse said:

what's with all the props?

It was convenient to put them in the attic rather than decide whether or not to scrap them.  Multiple 2002 parts cars over the years, a few 2002 5 speed conversions and more recently a couple of auto to manual conversions, and my daily driver e28 has went through 3 used driveshafts in the last 5 years (the rear u-joint cups keeps breaking apart).  

Now, I find it hard to just toss them because I have this idea that not only can I possibly piece together a needed driveshaft for the NK with the 5 speed conversion or at least make one with a sliding section like the e28 and e30 shafts.

Additionally, after buying a replacement Dorman driveshaft for my 525e, I've been thinking that I could have the measurements and possible find a match for the 2002 with 5 speed using a 525e or 325e shaft (same as the 3 bolt e21 flex disc mount up front) with the sliding shaft section that would custom make them so there would be a readily available commercially available driveshaft with replaceable u-joints like the Dorman shaft if I can find someone to make them.  I'm needing to replace the custom driveshaft in my 2002 since it it about 1/4 short and is tearing up guibos. 

At this point, I am tossing the front automatic shaft parts and the front e21 shaft section that was used for a 5 speed conversion so no one can call me a hoarder... 

• Like 1

Ha Haaa. I have the same pile, and the same sound reasoning to keep them. And if I waiver I'll need one the next month. So no excuses required, I just thought you were trying to use a combo on the NK. FYI a 4 speed e21 prop can be made to work in an NK with a side loader back end and a 245 5 speed relatively fuss free and without having to rebalance ?

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 1:55 AM, NickVyse said:

FYI a 4 speed e21 prop can be made to work in an NK with a side loader back end and a 245 5 speed relatively fuss free and without having to rebalance ?

Of the few driveshafts I don't have from that era, I guess I'll need keep an eye open for a 4 spd e21 shaft...

Edited by 02tom

5 hours ago, 02tom said:

Of the few driveshafts I don't have from that era, I guess I'll need keep an eye open for a 4 spd e21 shaft...

If you do you need to cut about 5mm from the sliding joint, so it can slide 5mm further together.

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

On 4/14/2022 at 8:40 PM, 02tom said:

Tom, I do know where there is a 320i 4 speed manual and drive shaft is up your way. Not too far from you and cheap. Pm me and I will shoot you their number. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Bmoreindy said:

Hi, did you end up using the W&N E9 Floor pan?

Yes, same as I posted in the thread about floor pans; fortunately there was no need to replace from the frame rails to the transmission tunnel on either side or there may not have been enough metal to work with.

Copied from the other thread:

From my notes I only found that the E9 was the closest thing being suggested to use at the time (2017-2019 when purchased).  Currently they are being put in on my car and some of the channels are a little off, but still manageable from what the body shop is telling me.  Not ideal, but when there's nothing else, what else can be done?   

Part numbers / descriptions from WN:   

41111770013   x1   Panel for rear floor left side (original shape and sheet quality) for all models

41111770014   x1   Panel for rear floor right side (original shape and sheet quality) for all models

41111770016   x2   Panel for front floor fits for left or right side ( original shape and sheet quality)

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/311520-floor-pans/?do=findComment&comment=1562503

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quarter panels repaired with part of WN arch patch panels.  41351885125 & 6 when available - showing out of stock currently.

Rear panel 41345734101 replacement is now being discussed; thought it could be salvaged until we saw how much filler is in it.

20221012_112215.jpg

20221012_112200.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...