Announcements

zcenterb

*SOLD* Full AC System w/ Interior Panels

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

*SOLD*

 

Ive been bringing a 72 tii back to life and decided to go with a custom interior with no console as an end goal. Being up in Vermont we don't really use AC in our cars and on a tii I would prefer the car be that much lighter anyway. So, up for sale it goes.

 

From what I can tell there are no leaks or drips or anything from it. The PO said the system worked fine when he last drove the car (about 4-5 years ago) but I haven't personally tested it. When I pulled everything out of the car the system was still full of refrigerant. The condensor is still in good shape and I believe the fan works fine (ill have to double check this though). I also have everything that mounts in the interior of the car, the blower panel and controls and everything. I have everything up in storage at the moment so if anyone is interested I can go and grab some pictures etc.

 

Again, I am not really sure the worth of this stuff. This is a full AC system ready to go in to a 2002 which I understand was an option at the dealer and is fairly sought after. The only thing you will need the have everything to run it is a belt and refrigerant. If anyone has any interest in it please feel free to PM me. Pictures are below... Running very short on time so I was not able to remove the compressor from the car yet.

 

Thanks.

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

Edited by zcenterb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Noted. I will get them down from storage tomorrow and snap some but again, anyone wanting more detailed photos can contact me. I know all of the interior bits and everything are Behr, ill check the compressor and condenser/evap. tomorrow. I have had a few interested parties already, and just to clarify, this AC unit came with the car in 72 according to the PO, it is the original stock system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zcenterb said:

^ Noted. I will get them down from storage tomorrow and snap some but again, anyone wanting more detailed photos can contact me. I know all of the interior bits and everything are Behr, ill check the compressor and condenser/evap. tomorrow. I have had a few interested parties already, and just to clarify, this AC unit came with the car in 72 according to the PO, it is the original stock system. 

 

No A/C was installed in '02's at the factory.  It was installed at dealers, or later, so there is no such thing as "factory air" on an '02.  Most dealers became Behr air dealers but many dealers also offered Frigiking (early '70's) or Clardy ('75 and '76).  If the evaporator/blower (the component in the passenger compartment) is Behr, odds are that the condenser is Behr, the condenser auxiliary fan is Bosch, and an early compressor is by York (Sankyo and Sanden are later, and better, rotary compressors).  Few people will re-use the condenser and even fewer people will re-use a York reciprocating compressor.  Thus, the evaporator/blower, the console fascia panels, and the wiring harness represent 95% of the value of a used '02 A/C system.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

Edited by Conserv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Conserv said:

 

No A/C was installed in '02's at the factory.  It was installed at dealers, or later, so there is no such thing as "factory air" on an '02.  Most dealers became Behr air dealers but many dealers also offered Frigiking (early '70's) or Clardy ('75 and '76).  If the evaporator/blower (the component in the passenger compartment) is Behr, odds are that the condenser is Behr, the condenser auxiliary fan is Bosch, and an early compressor is by York (Sankyo and Sanden are later, and better, rotary compressors).  Few people will re-use the condenser and even fewer people will re-use a York reciprocating compressor.  Thus, the evaporator/blower, the console fascia panels, and the wiring harness represent 95% of the value of a used '02 A/C system.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

Hi Steve:

 

 As a point of reference, my NOS Clardy unit came with instructions for installation on 73-74 2002's. It seems that it was available earlier than what you mentioned.

 

Robert

 

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cruzr said:

 

Hi Steve:

 

 As a point of reference, my NOS Clardy unit came with instructions for installation on 73-74 2002's. It seems that it was available earlier than what you mentioned.

 

Robert

 

 

 

 

Robert,

 

Very interesting!  Do your instructions solely state '73-'74 or do they state '73-'75, or '76, or whatever? I believe my instructions say '73-'75, but they are stored away somewhere since my move this past May.  The Clardy will theoretically work on any year '02 -- well, at least 12-volt cars.  I strongly suspected the instructions, however, like those for the Behr system, pointed NOT to the year of introduction but to the target years for fitment, including retroactive fitment.  If your instructions say solely '73-'74, I must re-think!  My suspicion was that Clardy test fit their units on '02's as old as '73, but weren't particularly targeting '02's older than '73:  both the condition of older cars and concerns over applications in 6-fuse (12-volt) cars may have made them wary.

 

The earliest reference I can find to a Clardy system in the BMW Roundel is July 1975 when they noted a New York auto repair shop was actively installing the newly-introduced Clardy air.  I was shopping for A/C from the time I purchased my '70 on June 6, 1973, and did not "discover" the Clardy system until '75, too late for the '70, which I totaled in '74.  I had, in the meantime, purchased my '67 1600-2, and put A/C on the back burner because I'd either need to convert the A/C to 6 volts or my car to 12 volts!  So maybe I missed the big introduction of Clardy A/C in 1973 or 1974 -- conceivable.

 

I grant also that my awareness of "things '02" in those days was largely through the Roundel; I lived in the "boondocks", i.e., an hour west of Philadelphia, and BMW's were rare as hens' teeth.  If it didn't appear in the Roundel, I probably didn't know about.  So could the Clardy system have been introduced before '75?  I suppose so:  it was a Texas-based company that probably had no budget for marketing.  But I'd want to see more evidence of that earlier date than instructions which I believe simply support retroactive installations.   Incidentally, one of my "needs-to-be-written" projects is a history of '02 A/C.  So I REALLY would like to know if Clardy introduced their system before 1975.

 

I, of course, purchased a new Clardy system in August '76 to install in my brand-new '76 '02. Two ways to prove an earlier date, of course, would be an invoice -- which I have for my '76-manufactured Clardy -- or a Clardy evaporator/blower dated before '75.  The serial number, at least on the '70's Clardys, begins with the year of manufacture.  Below is a photo of my '76 unit.  What's the date on your NOS evaporator/blower?  I don't suppose your NOS unit came in a dated original shipping box?  I had to ask!

 

So, yes, Clardy could have introduced their units earlier, but I haven't yet seen absolute proof of that.  Please keep digging.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, I went to the basement to check what I have. Here's the sticker on the evaporator:67d3d1a919dfe49f263ae9e4bc7e2f1a.jpg

And yes, most everything is in the original boxes:e9813309c4fe674e5cfa45c45a04266a.jpg

8acf185143910bc01498e0b7097df60e.jpg

I believe you are right the instructions refer to the years of aplication, not the early production date as I thought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cruzr said:

Steve, I went to the basement to check what I have. Here's the sticker on the evaporator:67d3d1a919dfe49f263ae9e4bc7e2f1a.jpg

And yes, most everything is in the original boxes:e9813309c4fe674e5cfa45c45a04266a.jpg

8acf185143910bc01498e0b7097df60e.jpg

I believe you are right the instructions refer to the years of aplication, not the early production date as I thought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

 

Taylor Motors in Ottsville, PA!  I browsed there a few times back in the '70's.  And that's identical to the box my unit arrived in a year earlier.  Very cool, Robert.

 

I also found a photo of that July '75 Roundel reference, and they titled the note "New A/C Unit".

 

I'm still looking for early references as there's already a New York City-based installer by July '75, and I'll bet there was lead time even for the young Roundel....

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Steve, have you chatted with hobiedave wrt Clardy? I know he corresponded with the original designer of the Clardy compressor bracket.

 

Cheers,

 

I have not spoken or corresponded with hobiedave on this topic, Ray.  Excellent idea!

 

Clardy was first to introduce a rotary compressor for their '02 system, ca. 1978.  And, at minimum, an original designer of the reciprocating (York) and/or rotary (Sankyo) compressor mount will know far more than I can dig out of the Roundel!

 

PM'ing hobiedave now!

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now