paul-hb

Help identify rare gas cap

28 posts in this topic Last Reply

We are just about finished with the final touches on our BMW 1600 that is driving to Monterey tomorrow.  The car is a 1966 build and very early.  It came with the unusual gas cap seen in the pic below.  This cap is very well made and is quite heavy (2-3x more than a regular gas cap).  I did some research and could not find one like it anywhere online.  Does anyone know what the deal with it is?  Furthermore, we would like to be able to use the locking mechanism but it is missing the tumbler and key.  We took it to a locksmith and he said it looks like a vintage BMW motorcycle steering lock unit.  I did some searching and although the shape is similar, the motorcycle ones look too big.  Does anyone know how to make this thing lock?

Thanks

Paul

gas cap.jpg

I agree with your lock smith something about that just says OLD BMW bike, never seen anything like it on the car side, you might try to post that on the BMW airhead bike site they might have some info on a key blank. 

Never seen a gas cap like that on either an NK sedan or an '02 of any vintage.  The grab handle on the cap makes me think it could be motorcycle; that handle looks pretty funky on the side of a car...cool piece, though.

The earliest style of locking cap I've seen is the polished stainless steel one with the round, pot metal spring-loaded cover for the keyhole.  I know they were available in 1968 (they're in an accessory catalog dated 1968) and may have been available.  If anyone has a picture of Meg's early 6v '67 from a recent Mid America, check the cap on her car to see what it looks like.  But I'm sure it's not the same as the one Paul has pictured.

mike

Is it me or does that BMW symbol look a bit haphazardly applied? 

Placed over the top of that inner concentric circle and it looks like it overlaps the outer circle. Could it be that BMW bought in those caps and applied the stamp more as a branding than decorative thing?

11 hours ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

Pre-war?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Maybe, but that handle certainly looks to be of late '50's through '60's style.  The 1968 French BMW accessories catalog is on the U.K. forum.  Nothing like this.  I do like the BMW bike theory.  There's got to be another one of these out there, and someone who knows the original application!

Regards,

Steve

Well here is a similar piece, unfortunately all there is.  Came in a plastic bag, not marked.

The gentleman that this came from was a 40 + year Tii owner.  Maybe he knew?

Perhaps a gas cap page is needed to record this information Steve?

IMG_8211.jpg

Edited by 2002haus

So cool, Rob!  That's the magic of the Internet!

I don't doubt it came from the same manufacturer as Paul's example.  But, of course, the handle is different and I can't make out a stamped BMW roundel.  So...manufactured over a long period of time, hence multiple styles?  Available as an OEM version (with roundel) and an aftermarket version (without roundel)?

I believe we already have a couple good threads on the locking gas caps.  We should add this to one of those, even if we can't vouch it was intended for '02's.

Best regards,

Steve

Calling HBChris!

Chris posted a photo of another example of this style 6 years ago.  He simply referred to it as "even earlier".  NK accessory?  Maybe he has more history to share.  It looks like the version he illustrated had the OP's style of handle, but flipped 180 degrees.  BMW Roundel in sight!

Chris's post is about 8 posts down.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

From what I could find out about early postwar BMW bikes they used a modern style lock no trace of any using a "skeleton key type lock", thinking about it I would think that cap with the big uncovered key hole would be used under a gas door type of arrangement you would get a lot of dirt and water into that lock if it was exposed to open air like a 2002 type filler but I'm just guessing. 

Oh well, Chris!

So we've got 6 more years to figure it out before it resurfaces once again!

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

I haven't seen a pic of the back of this cap, but the handle of the one posted by paul-hb looks like a kitchen cabinet handle, while the one from Rob/2002haus looks like it was meant to be there originally, IMHO.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2016 at 6:42 AM, paul-hb said:

We are just about finished with the final touches on our BMW 1600 that is driving to Monterey tomorrow.  The car is a 1966 build and very early.  It came with the unusual gas cap seen in the pic below.  This cap is very well made and is quite heavy (2-3x more than a regular gas cap).  I did some research and could not find one like it anywhere online.  Does anyone know what the deal with it is?  Furthermore, we would like to be able to use the locking mechanism but it is missing the tumbler and key.  We took it to a locksmith and he said it looks like a vintage BMW motorcycle steering lock unit.  I did some searching and although the shape is similar, the motorcycle ones look too big.  Does anyone know how to make this thing lock?

Thanks

Paul

gas cap.jpg

Can you post a pic of the back of this please...My Airhead buddy might know.