Sign in to follow this  
yert315

3-bolt and 4-bolt flanges

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm attempting to swap in a late trans into an early 1600. As most may know the flanges have different spline count (fine and course). I have a 3 bolt driveshaft with the long neck diff.

My question is:

Is there a 3-bolt flange with a fine spline?

If not, am I looking at messing with the driveshaft to fit a 4-bolt trans?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you have the very early 6- bolt manual guibo, then...

There is not a 4- speed 3- bolt fine spline flange that I know of, and I think the 5- speed 3- bolt is a smaller pattern than

the early manual, and different from the automatics- altho, the automatics MIGHT... unlikely... fit.

I think you're probably looking at a driveshaft mod to run a late trans with a longneck.

But Gordon (GRacer) will know.  Gordon?  How does this work?

t

Edited by TobyB

I was banking on the automatic flange to work, but it doesn't look quite the same dimension-wise (based on pictures I see on the Internet, which doesn't really qualify as science).

If Gordon has some insight on this I'd love to hear it!

Toby has it right - the early 3-bolt MT flanges have a different bolt circle than the later 3-bolt MT flanges. The automatic 3-bolt flanges are indeed larger as jgerock mentions. 

I'd swap a later 4-bolt MT flange to the 1600 driveshaft as the easiest method of adaptation. The driveshaft tube diameter is the same iirc.

Edited by Drosselhebel

Thanks for the info!

I found another 3-bolt transmission from a 1600 which came at a hefty cost. I go to put it in and the shift selector rod from the original trans is about 2.25" too short. The new trans came bare. As if finding a 3-bolt trans wasn't hard enough, there are 2 different types of 3-bolt. And I buy the other one!

I always thought I'd like owning an early car, but they seem to have the weirdest combinations of hard to find parts. Needless to say, this has been extremely frustrating.

I'm taking the selector rod to a buddy of mine to have it lengthened to fit nicely. Hopefully, then, I can put this project behind me.

While you're at it, have it lengthened just a bit less, and twisted slightly towards you.

That really helped me- it made the shifter sit right where I was expecting it.

The stock position is too far 'up and over' for my taste.

Don't go too crazy, as then it'll hit the hole in the body....

t

You are starting to figure out why so many of the early cars have been swapped to later model systems.