goofycarp

Getrag 245 input flange questions

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey,

I took the input sleeve off to replace the seal only to not pay attention to the metal ring's orientation. It has one side that is smooth and the other that has lips on the inside and outside of the ring. Which way does it go? Also, I can't seem to find the torque value for the bolts that attach the sleeve back to the transmission.

Thanks, Cort

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

Is that the spacer?  I don't think it's supposed to have a lip... if it's the one I'm thinking of that's used to set bearing preload...

It looks like it's worn around the shape of the race.  Does the bearing race show any signs that it's been turning?

I'm thinking it's #8, shim, in the diagram below?

t

245 input.jpg

Based on this diagram: I took off #2, the "sleeve" to replace #5 the seal and #8 was recessed in #2 that's all that came out revealing a race with huge ball bearings that I haven't touched. I just want to put it back together with some rtv and call it a day...but I can't figure out which way that steel ring orients; I am guessing that the flat, smooth side goes against the big bearings?

Thanks for your input; cort

Think that is a shim.  Mine stayed in place against the bearing when I removed the input shaft cover.

Pic from a 242 4-speed but think the seals and gasket are very similar to the 5 speed OD trans (input shaft sleeve). 4 speed sleeve uses 3 bolts.

IMG_9135_zpsa9f12cb5.jpg

IMG_9138_zps5c404f95.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Hi Jim,

Do you remember the torque value for those bolts holding the shaft cover in and thanks for the response.

Cort

Guess what I'm saying is that both sides are supposed to be flat, and so the groove must have been worn by the bearing.

So I guess you could just put it back together that way.

But that'll let the bearing move a lot more than it should...

t

Hi Toby,

My reasoning is that either way the thickness of the shim is the same. The "lips" are definitely manufactured and fit perfectly in either orientation as there is a circular recess in the input shaft cover...my other concern was torque on the 6 bolts; I looked at the faq torque sheets and didn't find anything that made sense to me, the closest was 18ft/lb for "housing cover" but that value seems high for aluminum?

Thanks for the help, Cort

may want to study section 18 (manual Gearbox) on following link

Sealing flange bolts are M6x20, torque them to 7.2 ft-Lbs. 

Edited by Buckeye

Thanks to Buckeye for posting the info.  I keep any posted torque values printed out hanging in the garage.  There are some good ones for the oil pump and KF pump that Mr. Demerest (cd) has posted several times.  The e21 blue book has the Getrag 245 overdrive tranny specs.  Think those can be found in the articles under construction section.