andreb

White/black wire in engine bay?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Several years ago I burned up my headlight harness running hi-watt H4 bulbs. I took the time to clean up the harness in the engine bay, re-wrap and add extra wires into the dash area for switches, gauges etc. There is a white wire with a black trace that runs down from the main harness and I believe was bundled with the run the picks up the main feed from the starter and also goes to the headlights. Can anyone help me id this wire and what it does? I don't see anything in the wiring diagram. TIA

Really!? Nobody knows what this wire is for? Another mystery wire...

Nope,

sure you're not working on your E30?

I don't see any WS-SW wires in the early  2002, either... 

sure the stripe's not purple?
  (VI)

t

t

Edited by TobyB

A few basics: what year is your car? What market was it made for? Is this wire connected anywhere or is it hanging free? Is there a terminal on it? If so, does it look like a factory machine crimp or an insulated crimp? What size is the conductor?

Lots of black wires with white traces near the starter but white with black? None that I can see. 

Wait Toby, I have a E30??? I wish! I think that's next considering some of the challenges with parts I've had with this old car...

Simeon, its a US market 1971 plain-jane 2002. The wire is currently hanging free without a terminal but I do not remember the original location or termination for this wire. It was several years ago when I chopped the wiring harness and I haven't worked on the car much since then. Here are some pictures. The larger red wire is the main feed from the battery, the other solid color wire I have added. The yellow/blue wire is hi-beam. The white wire with the connector is the low-beam.

DSCN7114.JPG

DSCN7113.JPG

DSCN7112.JPG

Like you, Andre, I looked through all the wiring diagrams, and didn't find WS-SW anywhere.  (White-Black)

I've seen a lot of it recently, and I've been working on the E30 race car, so I can only imagine that's where I saw it

(thus, the E30 comment)

Meter it and see if it's hooked up to anything?

If it measures open, I'd put an inductive tone 'sniffer'

but that's an occupational hazard on my part.

t

Yeah its a mystery per the wiring diagram. I'll put a meter on it later and see what I get. I have a tone tracer/sniffer as well Toby, good idea. Never thought about using it on a car though!