2002VT

Wheels (I've searched - but wheels size is a mystery to me)

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I am going to change wheels (shocker) and I plan on adding the awsome fender flares (riveted/screwed ones). The whole offset backspace measurements are essentially the twilight zone to me. I've read so many articles and watched youtubes - but I still need help. 

What I know: 4x100 bolt pattern with a 57.1 center bore. I'd like to go 15/16/17 diameter (I'll need to increase hp to spin them). I want a deep dish style wheel. I can get them custom made to whatever - but I am totally confused, and I have nightmares of ordering the wrong thing. 

Any tips? 

Edited by 2002VT
Poor poofreading

In my opinion, we all sizes are like opinions everyone has their favorites and their ideas of what is correct.  Some like their wheels flush with the fenders, some like them slightly inside, some like them slightly outside.  Some people like a stretched tire look and wider rim, and some people like a chunkier side wall and a more narrow rim. I would look through the forum for people that have pictures of cars with turbo flares and find ones that you like and ask them what size and offset wheels that are using. In my opinion that's the only way to make sure you are getting exactly what you want.  

I would not go anything over a 15" which is a plus two over stock size. You'll see lots of pics in the tire & wheel fitment guide from many an 02 owner who have been there, done that. Key is to find a wheel with the correct offset. I had a set of 15" Alpina rep wheels on my former tii that looked awesome but they had an offset (ET12) for an E21 and I had rubbing issues. I sold the wheels and went to a ET25 wheels and problems went away.

G-Man

5 hours ago, zinz said:

popular subject...

And 45 pages of Toby's favorite thread...

Thank you, sir!  I have played around on those threads a bit too!  ?

5 hours ago, jrhone said:

In my opinion, we all sizes are like opinions everyone has their favorites and their ideas of what is correct.  Some like their wheels flush with the fenders, some like them slightly inside, some like them slightly outside.  Some people like a stretched tire look and wider rim, and some people like a chunkier side wall and a more narrow rim. I would look through the forum for people that have pictures of cars with turbo flares and find ones that you like and ask them what size and offset wheels that are using. In my opinion that's the only way to make sure you are getting exactly what you want.  

Yes!  I believe you're right. It's all about taste and what you (the owner) wants. Totally agree. I figured I'd get some feedback around taste and whatnot. I remember reading oil brand (motorcycles) threads on older forums - wow - that was totally full of opinions. 

Agreed - good advice. 

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

I would not go anything over a 15" which is a plus two over stock size. You'll see lots of pics in the tire & wheel fitment guide from many an 02 owner who have been there, done that. Key is to find a wheel with the correct offset. I had a set of 15" Alpina rep wheels on my former tii that looked awesome but they had an offset (ET12) for an E21 and I had rubbing issues. I sold the wheels and went to a ET25 wheels and problems went away.

G-Man

Thank you Gordon!  Wheels will be the last thing I do, just because it's one of the first, and I need to spend my hard earned green on some actual "needs" first (it's ok - still 2002 related!)

maybe after suspension the idea of what can be stuffed in there will be more clear. 

Thanks again!