Sign in to follow this  
2002 Life

What's missing here? Please help.

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello so I bought a 2002. A 1971 it runs and drives but has a really wobbly shift lever. I looked under and it had some new bolts here and there as if the previous owner did do some work but I have a slight feeling that maybe he forgot to but something back in? Please take a look at the photos. 

Found some parts in the trunk. 

I can put it in to any gear and has the same wobble. I did do some research but didn't get any answers. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The shift brackets mount to the transmission on tabs that have a rubber bushing in them. The bushings deteriorate over the years due to the oil and heat. This makes the whole assembly very sloppy. It's a common issue the can be solved with a new set of mounts.   Pelican parts or Blunttech would have them. 

Ok thank you very much for that.  Would it be too much to ask for a link to a part that I would need? 

your shifter is missing two small soft plastic bushings

that go on either side of the shift lever where the large

pin goes thru the clevis. go to realoem and look at

a blow up of the shifter and you will see the pieces.

stone

Some folks here will not agree with me on my recommendation...

Change the early style shift linkage to a later type (74+) with delrin bushings, a new shift coupling and new shifter (nylon) bushings.  Check with Rob Torres of 2002 Haus for one of his "4-speed shifter upgrade kits".   It is one of the first things I did to my tii back in 2008.  Complete transformation of the shifting properties.   Another benefit of this upgrade kit is that if you change to a 5 speed overdrive transmission, you only have to change the shift rod from the long to short type (along with a shortened driveshaft and shift tower - of course).

Old type in my 73

2cfcdeb1.jpg

717feffe.jpg

204ece91.jpg

There is a small sponge-like piece inside this coupling that helps dampen the noise and reduces some play.  Make sure yours has this piece inside.

47495cd2.jpg

I installed a 5 speed OD tranny in the 73tii so I had the original short shift rod from Rob's kit.

69 with that same shift rod used with the 76 4-speed transmission.

8B077572-3F5C-416C-8E2B-32F0111570DD_zps

Edited by jgerock