rhariz21

starting new project question

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone! 

I am super excited to start my first 2002 project. i have always loved these cars and finally have the opportunity to jump in.

I found a 1967 1600 for sale. its in rough condition and doesn't run (owner says distributor problem). it is missing the most of the interior including the dash, headlights, and bumpers. owner also installed fender flares which id want to remove. 

Owner states the car has no rust inside or out.

Before i go see the car i wanted to get some guidance from the pros to see if its worth building. the owner is asking $1500 for it as is.

I am curious if these missing parts are super hard to find for the 67's.

Also does the 67 have a lot of year specific parts?

i guess the overall question is for $1500 is this car worth it or should i wait for something a little newer with the full interior in the car?

1967 1600 <--- link to ad 

Thanks everyone

My opinion, buying someone else failed project means undoing all their mistakes.  Flares, if done right means cutting the quarter panels and fenders so you have room under the flares for bigger tires.  so if your plan is to remove them expect to need new fenders and replace the quarter panel arches or quarter panels themselves depending on how well (or bad) they were installed.  Yes the older cars are more rare and so specific 67 parts may be harder to find than say 73 parts.  While they will fit, they may not be "correct" so if your plan is to restore it to factory stock conditions, this one will take ALOT of work.  If your plan is to make a restored with flares, maybe an engine swap and custom interior, then maybe its not a bad starting point.  If it were a 74 I would jump on it personally, I'm looking for a square tail to put turbo flares, rear seat delete and a motor swap. 

It depends...on what you want in an '02!  And it depends on what you like to do with cars!  Restore rarer examples?  Save a rarer example from the crusher?  Or resto-mod a car, in which case who cares what the original interior and features were, you'll be fitting later parts?

I cannot tell if it's a 1967 model (6-volt originally, and pre-September 1967) or an early 1968 model (12-volts generally and post August 1967).  A '67 might eventually be a bit more collectible than a '68, but a '68 might shares more parts with later '02's.  Regardless, it looks to be a Sahara car with a dark brown ("UPS brown") interior.  It's got an alternator, so it's likely to be either a '68 model or a '67 that has been converted from 6 to 12 volts.  Original engine?  The engine number should match the chassis VIN.  I wouldn't be shocked if this, like so many 1600-2's, currently had a 2-liter engine from a later car.  If you like rarer examples, and you like finding rarer parts, then you might love saving this poor thing.  But if those aren't your interests, find something more complete.

If it is, in fact, a '67 model, you can learn more about it on 02Anders' The '66 Bible, which focuses on '66 models, which share much with '67 models:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

And as to rust on a 50-year-old car, do NOT believe what a stranger tells you.  See it yourself, or get a Pre-Purchase Inspection by someone who knows '02's!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thank you guys! I definitely want to stick to round tails. As far as what i want from the '02... I want to restore something pretty decently. Maybe not all original so i think id like to have a car that has year-year interchangeable parts. 

I most likely wont restore to showroom condition but it will be all gone through.  

What has my attention is the price. What scares me is that i need to search for an interior and most likely new fenders (if i dont keep the flares) and from what i am hearing these parts will be hard to find for the '67

4 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

whatever your budget is in time and money, triple it and you should be half way there. 

And after that, you can sell it for 40% of what you have in it!

:D;)

haha love it. i know all these cars will take a lot of time and money. i am prepared for the long journey! 

Further, on this car personally I'd have a hard time biting, due mainly to the fender flares assuming the car has been cut. Maybe for $1000...

Also I'd wager that's not a 1600 distributor in the car, suggesting the motor has been swapped for a 2 liter. Early 1600 dizzy's are generally cast iron (looking).

Cheers,

Thanks for the info, Ray. The owner said that the fenders are cut up so i might not pull the trigger on it unless i decide on the resto-mod with flares.

Honestly, you would almost have to give me the scar for restoration.  Why?  Because for $5k I can get a driver that hasn't been cut up and is complete.  If I spend $1500 on the car, $3500 more doesn't get me a complete uncut driver.  I gotta spend ALOT of money to get a complete driver out of this one.  Spend $10k on a good round and you have a car you can drive while making it what u want.  You would have to spend like $15k to get this one looking decent and thats with you doing LOTS of the work yourself.  

appreciate your input! i will continue my search :).

P.S. I am a member on a lot of forums for different projects/hobbies and you guys are by far the most helpful group. Received inputs quick and without any B.S. so thank you all

Love it. 

22 minutes ago, rhariz21 said:

appreciate your input! i will continue my search :).

P.S. I am a member on a lot of forums for different projects/hobbies and you guys are by far the most helpful group. Received inputs quick and without any B.S. so thank you all

Love it. 

BTW, the rules are that newbs have to paypal $5 to the first member who responds to their posts. I'll PM you jrhone's paypal.

j/k!

:D

3 hours ago, rhariz21 said:

Thank you guys! I definitely want to stick to round tails. As far as what i want from the '02... I want to restore something pretty decently. Maybe not all original so i think id like to have a car that has year-year interchangeable parts. 

I most likely wont restore to showroom condition but it will be all gone through.  

What has my attention is the price. What scares me is that i need to search for an interior and most likely new fenders (if i dont keep the flares) and from what i am hearing these parts will be hard to find for the '67

Just to be clear, 1966 through 1976 '02's use the same front fenders and rear quarter panels, and nosepieces, and doors, and roofs, and window glass, for that matter. And, but for a few fairly-insignificant details, hoods and deck lids, and the rest of the bodies, are the same.  It's the mechanical details, like brake calipers and boosters, that are different in '67 from later cars.

Regards,

Steve

3 minutes ago, ray_ said:

BTW, the rules are that newbs have to paypal $5 to the first member who responds to their posts. I'll PM you jrhone's paypal.

j/k!

:D

hahah you got it!!

2 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Just to be clear, 1966 through 1976 '02's use the same front fenders and rear quarter panels, and nosepieces, and doors, and roofs, and window glass, for that matter. And, but for a few fairly-insignificant details, hoods and deck lids, and the rest of the bodies, are the same.  It's the mechanical details, like brake calipers and boosters, that are different in '67 from later cars.

Regards,

Steve

Thank you, Steve. That's very helpful. Is there a guide for what years have what interchangeable parts? I've seen guides as such for older VW beetles.

Buy and read Mike McCarthy's book on 2002's.  Bookmark RealOEM.com (you must select "Classic" to find '02 parts data).

Search this forum on the topics you're interested in!

Regards,

Steve