• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these seats compatible with an 02

MatDec

Hi all,

I've been looking for seats to fit my 02 but finding E21 recaro's seems to be hard these days in Europe...

I'd rather not cut out the original seat frame supports on the body shell so I'm searching for front seats that will fit (I can of course fabricate some brackets).

Yesterday I stumble dupon these type of seats. They should be from a VW rabbit MK1 convertible. 

Any idea if these would fit without having to cut the body shell? "Ride" height OK?

VW%20Golf%20GTi%20MK1%20Cabriolet%2001_z

thanks,

Mat

I'd recommend googling to see if rabbit MK1 seats fit. 

Where are you in Europe? I picked up my near-mint E21 Recaros off of Ebay Kleinanzeigen from a nice fellow up in Stuttgart for 700 last year. They're around, you just gotta keep your eyes open. That, or get connected with the fellow in Thailand who's been refurbishing them for very good prices and quality. I forget his name, but if you search the classifieds you'll find some posts.

As for mounting, E21's aren't a plug-and-play affair. You need adapter brackets, and they tend to make the seats sit too high IMO. But, I'm also pretty tall. I made my own brackets out of 12mm aluminum, I can share the templates if you like.

Cheers,

-J

Offer this guy a couple hundred euro and get them refurbished-

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/recaro-sportsitze-bmw-2002-02-opel-nsu-rally-oldi-e9-alpina-e21/496625867-223-19009

This guy is out-of-his-mind asking 8 for these... But, if you talked him down, you could re-cover the perimeter and replace the lower side-bolster foam. The centers are Bitchin' if you ask me!

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/recaro-sitze-oldtimer-bmw-ford-opel-vw-gebraucht/417220874-223-8728

Edited by 2002Scoob

Depends.

There are 2 styles- one uses the standard flat- bottomed Recaro mount, and you can get that to work.

The other uses the VW seat system, and it's not compatible at all...  which is a shame, because I like the way they fit.

But the seat itself is built around a mount that's centered under the seat, and it just won't fit with the stock mounts.

I think there was a thread about this a while back, but it might have started off with a different question...

hth

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1. None of the seats Jeff has linked to are E21. Dark ones are aftermarket 80s Recaro Idealsitz LS and they´re not a pair but two drivers. Other ones are Opel Ascona/Manta B, much too expensive and some not easy to get parts are missing.

2. AFAIK for german cars (Golf not Rabbit) in Mk1s there never were any real Recaros from factory. For a non-expert eye they very much look like Recaros but as Toby says they use the VW seat system with a tubular frame at least on the seat bottoms. Will need some extensive cutting and whelding on the tubes to make them fit on the 02 seat frame supports.

Some Mk2s had real Recaros though and with their (as Toby correctly calls it) flat-bottomed Recaro mounts they can be put into an 02 quite easily with the fitting brackets. But attention: Majority of the Mk2 sport seats are VW system, too.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Got the pics... unfortunately the seats have the VW system with a middle rail as Lars said.,,

What seats should I be looking for? E21's are the best I think but are either hard to find or way too expensive...

I hear some older Ford/Honda seats will also fit?

DSC08925.JPG

DSC08923.JPG

Don´t know about Honda. For EURO Fords you shouldn´t buy their Recaros from the XR 2/3/4 models - those are real Recaros but their seat bottoms are especially made-up to fit into Ford cars only - no easy fit for other cars also. 

I´d recommend to buy some of the older Recaros from Ford Capri, Opel Ascona/Manta B or Opel Kadett D. For Opel all GT/Es, GSIs and SRs came with those Recaros from factory so there are still acceptable numbers in the market. With some patience you should find a pair of those in the 200-400EUR price range in still usable conditions. Not really nice ones with already slightly weak side bolsters and webbing, but still usable and without holes in the cover´s cloth/fabric.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 2 weeks later...