jrhone

Help with BBS wheel rehab

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a good set of BBS rims I wanna do a complete rehab on. I was going to use them as is but decided that with a little work they will look new. So the first question is how do I polish the imperfections out of the lip and leave a durable smooth shiny finish?  I did my bumpers with #0000 steel wool, will this work for the polished lips as well?  Then the plan is to reprint the centers with a nice metallic silver and clear coat for durability. Opinions or ideas?  Thanks! This a a pic of the wheels in current condition. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The lip in the first pic doesn't look painted, while the one in the second pic does - could be the light/angle.  You'll need to strip the clear or paint coat from the lips (if there is one, using aircraft stripper) and use some power tool to get the best results in polishing them.  There are probably threads here about refinishing - you'll certainly find them with a general Google search.  Have fun!

P.S.  Do you plan a 5-lug conversion?

Very nice. I plan on BBS RS for my 02. What size and offset are these?  Do you have fender flares?

Edited by 2002VT

No flares.  They are 15x6.5 ET 40.   I plan on running a 10mm spacer in the front and a 12-15mm spacer in the rear. Should fit pretty easily.

Edited by jrhone

I have been reading on using various grits of sandpaper starting at 400 and going up to 2000 then a metal polish.  Anyone ever done this?  

1 hour ago, jrhone said:

I have been reading on using various grits of sandpaper starting at 400 and going up to 2000 then a metal polish.  Anyone ever done this?  

Yes that's the way. The trick is to use all the grits without skipping too much.

The starting grit depends on the condition. I did my RM lips using lathe and sandpaper, they were so corroded that I started with something around 100 grit. Clear coat must be removed first if there is any.

Various methods can be found from youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wheel+polishing

Edited by Tommy