Magicman

"76" Color Question

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a 76 2002 in Sahara.

Doubled checked the VIN number for model year; it is a 76.

The question that I have is the Sahara color valid for a 76

Some of the books that I have show that it was valid color up to the 75 model.

Any  thoughts on this discrepancy?

i am not particularly fond of the color and was going to repainted it Chamonix (white).

thanhs m

If you contact info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com and ask for information on your car (give them the VIN), they will tell you when the car was manufactured and that the original paint color is Verona red...(or perhaps Sahara or another color). If they come back with Sahara, then you'll know it was an available color in '76. But you can still paint it Verona red....or Nevada....or Chamonix. 

4 hours ago, Magicman said:

I have a 76 2002 in Sahara.

Doubled checked the VIN number for model year; it is a 76.

The question that I have is the Sahara color valid for a 76

Some of the books that I have show that it was valid color up to the 75 model.

Any  thoughts on this discrepancy?

i am not particularly fond of the color and was going to repainted it Chamonix (white).

thanhs m

Sahara remained available for 1976.  It's one of very few colors available from 1966, the beginning of '02 production (technically 1600-2 production), through 1976, the end of U.S. 2002 production.  I cannot tell you if it remained available on the 1977 1502.

Since production of Euro-spec 2002's and 2002tii's ended in 1975, many European and U.K. books, in particular, view 1975 as The End, and don't even recognize the 1976 2002, which was solely a U.S.-spec thing, or the Euro-spec 1502.  The 1502 was a low-compression, stripped-down version of a 1602 and was really targeted at "third-world" markets with poor-quality gasoline and an appetite for an inexpensive BMW.  The Euro e21, i.e., 316, 318, et al, was introduced in early 1975, but the 1502 was MUCH cheaper.  Yes, there are 1502's in Europe, the U.K., and Canada, but those weren't the original target markets.

Welcome!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv