OriginalOwner

article ..... The 10 Best Vintage Four-Cylinder Engines

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Yup!  It's a marvelous engine!  In its M10 version to the M12 to the S14. 8 valve carbed, injected, turbod to 16 valve. What other 4 cyl engine has been used in so many ways so successfully?  

I was thinking the same about the BMC A , great article non the less , My son has the Fiat twin cam in his MkI Cortina Estate & an Alfa Romeo Twin Cam in a 1927 T track roadster we are building with my 02 we have 3 of the top 10 :)

I am happy to see the VW at number two.  I recently sold a 69, with its original engine, which had never been rebuilt.  The buyer flew out to Washington from Virginia and drove it home without a hitch.  He said most of the traveling was done at 70-75 (4.125 transaxle) and he got 25 mpg.  Pretty impressive for a 47 year old engine.

6 minutes ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

I am happy to see the VW at number two.  I recently sold a 69, with its original engine, which had never been rebuilt.  The buyer flew out to Washington from Virginia and drove it home without a hitch.  He said most of the traveling was done at 70-75 (4.125 transaxle) and he got 25 mpg.  Pretty impressive for a 47 year old engine.

I seriously want a bug. I have fond memories of them from high school. We beat the hell out of them, and they ran and ran. When they blew up, we could rebuild the engine for $50 back then.

But I think a 2 stroke Saab is next.

Edited by arminyack