Des

White smoke can be an issue. Or fun.

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Depending who is behind you Hitting the gas on the highway 65 mph.

And over Then: releasing my foot off the gas?......

Then hitting the gas again ........ A puff...... of white smoke ?

Why do you suppose this is happening ?

Thanks Dez

Edited by Des

Probably head gasket failure.  Coolant is being burned up. 

White smoke is coolant (it will also make your exhaust smell sweet).  Blueish smoke is oil.  

How big a cloud are you talking about?

Zach

Edited by vacca rabite

It may be brake fluid in the brake booster sloshing up and getting sucked into the intake, through the vacuum line that runs to the number four intake runner.

That would indicate a failing master cylinder.  Have you been losing any brake fluid?

Yeah I vote for brake fluid. Loosen the master cylinder from the brake booster and see if there is brand fluid in the booster. Since the booster is vacuum driven, any fluid in there will get sucked into engine and burned.

Edited by Stevenc22

I've been thinking about making something to do this on my commuter-

a mosquito eliminator, I call it...

t

Probably head gasket failure.  Coolant is being burned up. 

White smoke is coolant (it will also make your exhaust smell sweet).  Blueish smoke is oil.  

How big a cloud are you talking about?

Zach

Pretty big puff . Enough to cover a cars nose? Thanks for the reply. Dez

?️

It may be brake fluid in the brake booster sloshing up and getting sucked into the intake, through the vacuum line that runs to the number four intake runner.

That would indicate a failing master cylinder.  Have you been losing any brake fluid?

Yes I have. That's probably it. Thanks Dez

?️

Wouldn't this be valve guides before a head gasket or brake booster problem?

Wouldn't this be valve guides before a head gasket or brake booster problem?

As a newbee in this issue alone .

What is a dialog that I may borrow. For my engine guy. Thanks Dez

?️

This thread is the dialog, no?

Is the 'engine guy' you are referring to the same one who rebuilt your carburetor? 

(just curious)

Tom

This thread is the dialog, no?

Is the 'engine guy' you are referring to the same one who rebuilt your carburetor? 

(just curious)

Tom

Lol. Not really that was the carb guy?

As so it thought.

?️

M10 engines are not known for head gasket problems and a bad vacuum valve for the brake booster is just as rare.  Blue/white-ish smoke on deceleration is almost always worn valve guides.  It doesn't hurt anything other than your pride, and you have to keep an eye on your oil level a little more than normal.

I am not arguing with what you are saying, but if there is brake fluid in the booster, it would not be the vacuum valve that had failed.  It would be a leaking master cylinder and once the booster filled up, the fluid would just get sucked through the valve, causing smoke.  I have not experienced this problem (knock on wood), just read about it and threw it out there as a possibility.  He did say he has been losing brake fluid, so this may be related; but there are many places to be leaking fluid, including the clutch components.  As Steven points out above, it would be easy enough to check for brake fluid.

Tom

20 minutes ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

I am not arguing with what you are saying, but if there is brake fluid in the booster, it would not be the vacuum valve that had failed.  It would be a leaking master cylinder and once the booster filled up, the fluid would just get sucked through the valve, causing smoke.  I have not experienced this problem (knock on wood), just read about it and threw it out there as a possibility.  He did say he has been losing brake fluid, so this may be related; but there are many places to be leaking fluid, including the clutch components.  As Steven points out above, it would be easy enough to check for brake fluid.

Tom

You're right, the one-way valve wouldn't be bad, that's just how it gets into the engine.  I have had this weird problem on an E9 coupe years back and it didn't smoke on braking, just when I would go over a big bump and slosh the fluid around and get sucked up the line.  I got the car running for the first time after buying it and drove it straight to the gas station.  When I pulled into the place I drove over the top of the in-ground fuel tanks and the car bounced up and down a few times.  By the time I got to the pump the tail pipe was pumping out so much smoke that it literally filled the overhang of the gas station (three islands!).  People were jumping in their cars and taking off because they thought there was a fire.  LOL  I knew what it was because the smoke didn't smell like regular smoke and it kind of hung around for a while.  I pulled the vacuum line off the booster right there and drove it home without vacuum assist.  BMW memories.  8-)

If it's white and doesn't smell like oil and you're losing brake fluid

it's the master.  Because this is a pretty common 2002 problem. 

As are valve guides.  But you don't lose brake fluid with them,  and the smoke smells strongly of oil.

If it smells sweet, and you're losing coolant, it tends to be a leak at the head- block interface,  often the

gasket, but sometimes metallurgically- challenged owners put water in the radiator instead of coolant,

and then it's the head.

...as far as internet diagnosis goes, anywhich.

t