Sign in to follow this  
repoman

Crankshaft Compatability Question

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

I needed a crankshaft for my 1974 2002 and found a 1976 2002 in the junkyard last year, so I pulled the crankshaft.  I did not recognize the block vin# stamped on the block (5170731), which I later discovered, according to realOEM, is a 12/1976 euro 318.  The part numbers for the crankshaft are different for the 318 and the 2002.  Realoem is showing it will fit the 1502, 1600, 1602 & 1802.  Can someone confirm if this crankshaft will work on the 2.0 liter, and if so, any advantages/disadvantages?  Or perhaps they used a 1.8 block with a 2.0 crankshaft (any chances of this?).

If it doesn't work....look for it soon in the classifieds...thanks!!

Well, if it is a 318 M10 engine then the crank stroke would be different and therefor, not compatible.  Just check the stroke to be sure (can be done in two minutes with two rulers and something straight).

also count the counterweights...heh...

in 1976, I would THINK you'd have a 2l crank in there- but as Andrew says, measure to be sure.

If it's a shorter stroke, don't toss it- someone with a turbo might wanna turn 12k...

Cranks are very durable- don't spend an arm and a leg on one.

t

Did it measure short?  There were 2 1800 versions, and one was a shorter stroke, while the other was a smaller bore...

t

1,8L 1773ccm 84x80 long stroke ended in 1968 with the arrival of the 1800/69. From then on all produced 1,8L M10 cars had the short stroke 1766ccm 89x71 (1800, 1802, E21, E12, etc.). With that said an original 76 318 crankshaft should always be short stroke.

Best regards, Lars.

Dah, thanks, Lars-

I thought the long- stroke lasted longer.

Do you happen to know whether the 69-80 1800s used the 2l rods and a low- pin piston like the later 1.8i injected cars did?

t

What is a "2L rod"? Do you mean conrods? Conrods were the same on all stock M10s (and most if not all M30s - don´t know that much about those though), weren´t they?

For the pistons: AFAIK compression height should be different for all those 1,8L, yes.

Best regards, Lars.

Oh, yeah, sorry- I was asking if they de- stroked it by lengthening the rod, or lowering the pin in the piston, since the deck heights... were all the same?

t

Lower pin is correct.

I´m not 100% sure on each and every of the newer non-NK and non-02 1,8-Liter-engines, but I think I´ve heard sometimes either for some non-german-market versions or the german ones that were produced in the time catalytic converters were introduced in Germany there might have been some piston types with a little lower deck height in order to get a lower compression ratio/deal with unleaded fuel. But as said before: Not really sure on that because never have worked on such an engine personally.

Best regards, Lars.