biker1bmw

Fuel pump conversion

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm sure this has appeared many times on the forum, looking to convert my 75' standard sedan from the OEM mechanical fuel pump to a electric type,  looking for any recommendations on pump brand, location, and installation.  also if a  fuel regulator and shut off  is needed.  My OEM fuel pump died.

p.s.  i replaced carb with a Weber 38/36 with electric choke

Thanks,

Joel

thanks Steve for the reply, can i ask did you use an inline regulator, (is it really needed?) and how did you wire the pump to acc "on" 12v lead? location of pump? trunk or engine bay?

thanks for all the help.

Joel

I just put it in the same place as the old mechanical.  There is a vacuum controlled diverter valve mounted near the carb that sends a bit of gas back to the tank to prevent vapor lock.

46 minutes ago, 2002 said:

gas back to the tank to prevent vapor lock

The valve dumps gas to the tank when the engine stops and vacuum is lost.  And it is there for a case of a hot carb after shut down that evaporates some fuel, so no more fuel enters the bowl from a pressurized fuel line, exasperating the problem and flooding the engine (a lot of the hot starting problems).  Those that have to push the accelerator down (open the carb) to get it to unload and start, that's the cause. (Shouda kept that valve that was thrown away out of ignorance.)

jimk, thanks for the explanation!

Valve is item 14 (Part Number: 13 31 1 259 194) is this drawing:

fuel diverter valve.png

Edited by 2002
added file