Harmonizer

Gear Oil Came Out of My CV Joint Boot

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a 1967 BMW 1600 vintage race car and noticed a pool of oil under the left rear axle today.  When I investigated I found that the CV joint boot had split and what appears to by heavy gear oil was leaking from it.  CV joints are used on the outer end of the the axle only and the boot is transparent so you can see the oil inside.  Later 2002 models had both inner and outer CV joints and from what I can gather, they were lubricated with CV joint grease.  Can anyone on this forum explain to me what I am dealing with here?  In the workshop manual for the car it refers to draining off the oil in the CV joint when removing the boot, but there is no mention of what that oil is or how it is lubricated by the oil.  When I search for a replacement online, all the suppliers show a black rubber boot with a package of grease for this car, but clearly, there is no black grease in the CV joints on this car.  I should mention that I have a 1968 parts car and it also appears to have oil in the CV joint boot.

Yup. that was the early way.

There were a few threads a while back about the boot still being available, and that softening it in hot water was the way to get them over the spider of the cross- joint that's used there.

If you search back, you should be able to find them.

I think you can use the later CV style halfshaft IF your flanges are drilled for it.  The later 'early' style flanges that are drilled should fit your diff.

hth

t

The later CV joints will deliver smother power to the ground but are heavier.  As Toby said the earlier joints are filled with oil.  G

My 68 1600 also had these half shaft sliding joints. SAE 90 wt. hypoid gear oil is specified for these joints. The oil level should be to the lower edge of filler orifice when the orifice is pointing upward at 45 degrees. 180 cc (6.3 oz) per joint, 300 cc (10.5 oz) permanently filled. Real pain to change the oil, keeps "burping" when filling. After 40 years of doing this finally converted to a 2002 crossmember and newer style half shafts.

25 minutes ago, tahoedon said:

My 68 1600 also had these half shaft sliding joints. SAE 90 wt. hypoid gear oil is specified for these joints. The oil level should be to the lower edge of filler orifice when the orifice is pointing upward at 45 degrees. 180 cc (6.3 oz) per joint, 300 cc (10.5 oz) permanently filled. Real pain to change the oil, keeps "burping" when filling. After 40 years of doing this finally converted to a 2002 crossmember and newer style half shafts.

+1

In my opinion, these rear boots were the biggest pain of the early cars, primarily because I could NOT get a boot to last more than 8,000 miles.  If you tried to squeeze an extra 500 miles out of them, you would have a puddle of oil on the garage floor.

Regards,

Steve

On August 11, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Harmonizer said:

...I have decided to convert to CV joints from a later model.

What's the fun in that: they'll go 150,000 miles between service?

Enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:53 PM, Conserv said:

What's the fun in that: they'll go 150,000 miles between service?

Enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

Good one Steve!  As it turned out, I only thought my 1968 parts car had the earlier cv/ujoint setup.  When I checked again I noticed that someone had converted it to CV joints at both ends at some point so I simply took those apart serviced them and installed them on the race car.  The boot on the original let go during qualifying dropping oil on the track so it wasn't appreciated by my fellow racers and that ended my race weekend so getting 150K out of these will outlast me and the car.