JFINK907

Locked up caliper

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

If my drivers side caliper is locked up should I buy new calipers or look for original ones for sale? Rockauto only shows 4 piston calipers and not sure if I can upgrade to them because I have a 2 piston caliper? Also can I use the same caliper bracket if I buy new calipers?

Guest dq48

I assume that you received the rear shoes that I gave you?  So, is the caliper frozen or is the hose closed up?

Definitely buy a set.  I got mine from Blunt.  No issues in 5 years.

Don't drive the car like it is.  An overheated caliper WILL warp your rotor.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

Send the calipers out for professional rebuild. There is a place in the Midwest that does it expertly, fast, and very, very reasonably.    Mike in North Carolina told me about it, I am trying to remember the name. I used to get new calipers, but now send them out if I feel that I cannot rebuild them myself.  Sincerely, Peter

Of course, it always helps if you tell us what car you have...

... the brake's locked up on my 30+30, too, but that's because the rotor's bent...

t

19 hours ago, dq48 said:

I assume that you received the rear shoes that I gave you?  So, is the caliper frozen or is the hose closed up?

Yea I recieved the the shoes! Thanks again. I replaced all the lines for the front plus new hoses and the drivers side caliper doesn't move in and out. But the passenger side does. 

14 hours ago, TobyB said:

Of course, it always helps if you tell us what car you have...

... the brake's locked up on my 30+30, too, but that's because the rotor's bent...

t

Sorry I got a early 68 2002.  I have new everything besides calipers now. And just not sure if I buy new ones if I could use a 4 piston caliper that rockauto offers because that's all they have and mine are 2 piston

16 hours ago, tisalover said:

Send the calipers out for professional rebuild. There is a place in the Midwest that does it expertly, fast, and very, very reasonably.    Mike in North Carolina told me about it, I am trying to remember the name. I used to get new calipers, but now send them out if I feel that I cannot rebuild them myself.  Sincerely, Peter

Hey if you think of the name let me know. I'll look around and see if I can figure it out. Thanks

If you dig, I THINK you can also use 320i calipers- but you might have to also use the 320i hub.  I remember a thread on it a long while back.

If you use the late (80-83) hub and '77 rotor and caliper, you get single- circuit vented rotor brakes.  I raced that setup for a couple of years-

it's pretty good for what it is.  And tons better than the tiny pads the '68's got.

Or pull yours apart- the BMW design is such that you can usually clean up the piston and bore, and new seals, and it'll be as good as new....

hth

t

I did just that with mine.  I had dragging pistons on both sides, due to rust in the outer portion of the bore, outside the rubber seal (behind the dust boot).  The rest of the bores were just fine.  The pistons have what appears to be a chrome plating, so they last pretty well.  I actually broke one of mine, being too aggressive (aka stupid).  I ordered a new one for $10 from Rock Auto.

If you would care to read about my experience, it is here:

7 hours ago, JFINK907 said:

Hey if you think of the name let me know. I'll look around and see if I can figure it out. Thanks

White Post Restorations can certainly restore the original calipers to new condition. Alas, probably not cheap, but certainly worth a phone call.

Regards,

Steve

On 8/7/2016 at 2:42 PM, dq48 said:

So, is the caliper frozen or is the hose closed up?

I am betting on a little rust in the calipers, but plugged flex lines will cause dragging brakes.  The pedal can force fluid through, but the pressure does not release.  One way to see if this is the problem, is to crack the bleeder(s), to relieve any pressure.  If that frees up the caliper, you likely have a hose issue.  If it is still dragging, you probably have caliper issues.

In this thread it was suggested that you replace all four hoses.  Have you done that yet?