02fanatic

? Sway bar bushing question

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Need a little help....I finally got around to replacing the anti-sway bar bushings on my '72tii (aka "Hugo"), and I bought new bushings from Ireland Engineering.  The new bushings came with a material lining on the inside that appears to be glued to the bushings.  What is this material?  Should it stay on there or remove it?  It looks like it's suppose to stay there.  I plan to put a bit of lubricant or anti-sieze on the the inside before installing, but I am not certain about this lining.

Any help appreciated,

John

I think that is an anti-squeaking material.

I replaced the bushings in a VW with poly ONCE and will not do that ever again.

They squeaked over every little bump, even with extra lube.

Not such an issue with sways.

Though I will add that the original rubber sway bushings had gotten sticky and were fused to the bars.

I had to peel them off.

That is probably why I felt such a HUGE improvement with the ST bars, the old ones could no longer rotate.

Although the ST bars are massive, compared to stock... so that has something to do with it : )

Thanks!...that makes sense....well, the rear sway bar is ready to reinstall so I'll lube the bushings a bit and install them (19mm rear) as is.  The old poly bushings were a crumbling mess, so after sprucing things up it will be an improvement.  I did the easy sway first lol!....will tackle the 22mm front bar next weekend! :)

(edited)

The Teflon lining on the id of the IE swaybar bushing should remain in place.  Its function is to help prevent the bar and bushing from binding.

Certainly use a healthy amount of silicone-based dielectric grease on all pivoting surfaces.  Too much is better than too little.

Good luck john.

Edited by AceAndrew

Thanks for the input....back sway bar is done...next weekend we tackle the front.  My son is going to help me with the front.  I wasn't sure what kind of lube to use, so I used vasoline.  The old poly bushings were toast....fell apart when I removed the the clamps.  But I knew they were bad thus the need to replace.  Only issue I had was re-attaching the clamps...getting the holes to line up.  One bolt lined up fine but didn't tighten up all the way, so it must be stripped, but it's not backing out by itself...the long stud with nut is solid.  I didn't know what kind of bushings were on the car...it's the only thing I didn't replace back when restoring Hugo 13 years ago, but they are 22mm front & 19mm rear...bars are red!  Have no clue what they are, so the bushings from Ireland might be a bit thicker, thus making the clamp re-install tougher than it should have been.

14 minutes ago, 02fanatic said:

I wasn't sure what kind of lube to use, so I used vasoline.  

Anti-seize paste does a good job, too.  I don't know how long the Vaseline will last. 

Thanks John...I was tempted to use anti-seize but it's so messy!  I had just repainted the sway bar and though I'd use something clear.  It's better than the old setup.  Maybe I'll use anti-seize on the fronts.