8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I brought my 75 Mintgrun 2002 back from Bavarian Rennsport this week to finish the restoration.  I pulled the valve cover to replace it with a nicer version I had in my parts stash and thought to myself, that doesn't look right.  The motor had a single link timing chain?  So I brushed off the serial number on the block and found the following...

"0054A 04 9"  with a 21 above the number.

I'm thinking factory crate short block motor, but can anyone confirm?  It has an E-12 head on it with an 87 Casting designation and all the 75 smog components.

Thanks,

Mark92131

File Aug 06, 5 37 37 PM.jpeg

Yes, Mark, it's a factory-remanufactured block.

I can't find the thread -- I just found it a week or two ago -- which has the factory-issued key attached. Here's what I recall:

21 = '74-'75 2002 engine

0054 = 4-digit factory serial number

A = remanufactured engine

04 9 = April 1979, or 1989, or 1999... (remanufacturing date)

I'll try again to find it.

Regards,

Steve

Bingo.  Here 'tis, 3rd post is courtesy of JohnH:

And he includes a pdf of the following BMW parts bulletin:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=129207

Edited by Conserv

Awesome, thanks for the data, PM me with your address and I'll send you a present.  I also used one of your posts to place my underhood stickers.

Mark

File Aug 07, 1 51 54 PM.jpeg

File Aug 07, 1 52 12 PM.jpeg

sorry for the hijack and beautiful car

I have the same strut tower brace, do you know the origin? brand? significance?  

I had sold an 02 with an IE stainless brace and I regretted losing it just wondering what the one I'm left with is

thanks tim

On August 7, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Mark92131 said:

Awesome, thanks for the data, PM me with your address and I'll send you a present.  I also used one of your posts to place my underhood stickers.

Mark

File Aug 07, 1 51 54 PM.jpeg

File Aug 07, 1 52 12 PM.jpeg

The stickers look great, Mark!

On the left inner fender, I believe all '75's -- I believe yours is a '75 -- like '76's, had the white-on-blue brake fluid sticker between the battery sticker and the relay rack.

Loved my present!

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

5 minutes ago, 72ITB said:

sorry for the hijack and beautiful car

I have the same strut tower brace, do you know the origin? brand? significance?  

I had sold an 02 with an IE stainless brace and I regretted losing it just wondering what the one I'm left with is

thanks tim

Tim:

It came with the car when I purchased it originally.  No markings to identify it, so I don't know much about its history.  It was in pretty sad shape when I got it, so I had it powder coated before re-installing.  Maybe someone else knows more about it.

Thanks,

Mark92131

1 minute ago, Conserv said:

The stickers look great, Mark!

On the left inner fender, I believe all '75's -- I believe yours is a '75 -- like '76's, had the white-on-blue brake fluid sticker between the battery sticker and the relay rack.

Loved my present!

Regards,

Steve

I left a space for the brake fluid sticker in case I ever find one, based on the picture of your 76.

You are most welcome.

Mark

14 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

I left a space for the brake fluid sticker in case I ever find one, based on the picture of your 76.

They are being reproduced by several different sources.  Let me see if I can figure out where I bought the one in my photo, it's a pretty good copy.

Best regards,

Steve