5 posts in this topic Last Reply

hey guys im just looking for some information on the m10 engine and the drivetrain. im pretty new to the 2002 bmws and im just wondering whats the typical speed you should reach for each gear? 1st gear for me is around 20mph and second to 3rd is 55 mph, to me that seems pretty crazy for an old car like this. some help would be nice, thanks

You can use this google spreadsheet to find your max speed in each gear, and max RPM for downshifting between gears.  The sheet covers all reasonably available BMW transmissions and differentials.  The variables you may change--tire circumference and red line RPM--are located in the upper left corner of the sheet.  The OEM red line for the M10 is 6400 RPM.  There's a note in the tire circumference field that shows a URL for calculating tire circumference based on tire specs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BGTb-rHpovTwNAVltEgHhixZhMM_pzpdNsDVzg_csic/edit?usp=sharing

With healthy valve springs, you're good to about 6800 rpm before you start breaking rockers.  Maybe a little more...

t

So I need to get me that thar 2.73 rear diff to go with my 245/5 5-speed, to pull the Double Ton and redline in 5th in my 02?  Yeehaw!  Sign my ass up.  :P

(sadly, the 02s chamfered-brick-like aero makes the power you'd need beyond an NA M-10s limits...)  

That and a big- ass bottle of NAWS.... 

t