danco_

WTB: Original Foldable Key Blank

28 posts in this topic Last Reply

Sorry, Ryan,

I've got nothing.  I was just wondering if you knew the time frame for the folding keys.  My 1967 model (6-volt, so pre-September 1967) seemed to have two sets of original keys, but neither was folding.  My 1970 model (early, as in September 8, 1969), on the other hand, had a folding key.  I still have it somewhere; I just can't find it since our move.  And my 1976 came with two sets of non-folding keys, and was definitely post-folding-key era.  So I'm guessing the "folding-key era" was some middle period of '02 production.

Good luck with your search.  My bet is that a long-established German BMW dealership or German eBay are the most likely places to find a folding key blank.

Regards,

Steve

My '73 tii came with one. Well at least from the original owner.

I looked a few years ago, thru a friend with access to BMWNA inventory, for some folding blanks. The system showed that a few were available, but oddly we couldn't get our hands on any.

Recently I gave away the one I bought here.

I still have this, tho :-p

IMG_0788.jpg%7Eoriginal

3 hours ago, HBChris said:

My 11/68 02 had an uncut folding key, I sold it here 4 1/2 years ago when I sold the car.  The end was rubber/plastic.

And my 9/69 '70's folding key also has a plastic end, light gray.  Do wish I could find it!

Regards,

Steve

10 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Mine's in sterling silver, made from a mold of the gray plastic handle. One of 2, according to the ebay seller, made by someone in Anchorage.

;-)

Huh?  ?

That's so ridiculous, it might be true!

Best regards,

Steve

Not sure if a folding key would be correct for a late 68 1600, but i would like to acquire one all the same.

I have a folding key with my 73 inka car. Not sure if original, but definitely the coolest part of the car (to me).

Photo for posterity.

FullSizeRender 104.jpg

3 minutes ago, Conserv said:

So, thus far, a range of '68 through '73.  I'll bet anders will know whether folding keys came with '66 and '67 models.

Regards,

Steve

I don't remember if my tii had a snorkel. And I have only one photo. :D

8 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I don't remember if my tii had a snorkel. And I have only one photo. :D

Only one photo, and it doesn't show the "snorkel area"?  Then you should be confident saying, "My tii certainly had its original nosepiece.  No doubt about it!"  ??

Regards,

Steve