Huge2na

Distributor flange questions

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ok so I bought an 02 that was turbocharged or partially turbocharged. They had a oil line routing off the flange of the distributor to the turbo. Well I was looking online and see many different configurations for the flange. Some just have a bolt, some have a breather and some look like they may have an oil pressure sensor. What is the proper configuration? I've looked on RealOEM and the flange they have appears to have no hole to mount anything. Also when viewing multiple pictures online I cannot find any definitive answer. 

Will update photo with my mobile. 

IMG_20160804_191459.jpg

Edited by Huge2na

The pressure sending port can be used for a turbo oil supply but it is not as good as coming from the oil filter housing.  The proper function of that port is for the oil pressure sending unit.  G

The factory turbos used a banjo fitting at the distributor housing to feed pressured oil to the turbo. The banjo bolt had a threaded hole in the top for the pressure switch

Hmm.. The one I saw had it coming off the oil filter housing.  That would get the oil to the turbo faster.  Either way, the dist. housing port  can be used for any number of devices.  G

So what should I put in it's place, if you can please provide a photo or diagram, like I said I have seen so many different configurations. 

Is your plan to go back to the turbo or stick with the downdraft carb?

If staying with the carb then you just need to get an oil pressure sender and remove the bolt and reducing nipple from the port in the distributor housing. 

If you are refitting the turbo and it is not factory then consider drilling and tapping a new port on the oil filter housing or replacing with an S14 housing. 

Stick a pressure sender in the hole.  It'll fit, and seal, and probably not leak.

t

The original configuration is quite simple, as seen below.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

The original configuration is quite simple, as seen below.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Thanks Conserv and Toby and everyone else that contributed, I guess I was getting confused by seeing the other photos with the VDO sender unit. I could not make heads or tails of what actually belonged here. Couple this will some flanges I found with no hole whatsoever and I was very confused. 

So for history's sake and maybe to help other dolts like me here is what I need

PN  61311354274OE

Or  61311354274 for aftermarket at Autohausaz.com

A whopping    $1.97 for a Uro part

or $19.93 for BMW OE Part 

61311354274.jpg

BMW doesn't make the sender units, so the higher price from BMW simply reflects the "BMW" on the box vs VDO (the OEM manufacturer) or another maker.  

mike