roundelmike

New Member, Intake Manifold Question

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. My '74 2002 arrived just two days ago from California and I'm loving the car. I'm rather youngish so driving a car this old is like nothing I've ever experienced before; it's much more raw and exciting, and even though wicked acceleration isn't there it's very immersive. I've posted a photo of the car. 

I'm very, very much a beginner when it comes to wrenching, so I'm slowly going through the car to check everything out. I've read probably hundreds of threads on the forum and it's been very helpful. Turns out the car already has a Weber 38/38 carb, electronic ignition, and removed spring spacers -- all things I planned to do. I ran into something that I can't figure  out, however. I can't find information on the forum, probably because I don't know what to call this thing. There's an open port on the intake manifold, which is probably a peanut manifold, and I suspect it should be capped or connected to something, but it's sucking unfiltered air and there's a lot of gunk inside the port so I'm concerned. Do you know what this port is and what I should do with it? (Photo attached)

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Edited by roundelmike

Well that's the EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation - port. Are you sure its totally open, not plugged? Seems like it would run rough with that big open port. But on the other hand, maybe its tuned to account for the additional airflow.  Block it and see what happens.

I hope the exhaust manifold is plugged where the crossover tube comes out. 

edit - judging by the sealant goop around the edges i wonder if it's not already blocked off with something underneath it.

Edited by theNomad

It's plugged- the car won't idle with that open.

But it'd be good to figure out HOW it's plugged, I agree...

t

Thank you for your help, everyone. I stuck a wire in though the open port (with the engine off, of course) and it does appear to be plugged at the intake manifold, as it should be, like you guys mentioned. The sediment buildup inside is probably not from intake suction, but just from years of engine bay gunk.

I removed the three bolts holding the part in place but the rubberized sealant between it and the intake manifold is holding it in place. Rather than cut the seal now, I'm first going to purchase the intake block-off plate that Steven mentioned, and then remove the port to see how it's blocked once a permanent and attractive solution is in hand. I'll post an update afterward so it can help someone else down the road.