13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have completed a "Euro" conversion on my '74 tii and used large, upright bumper guards (over riders) on the front.  Now, I have a question:  Were these guards appropriate?  ...and in whose eyes?  

For a such a conversion, what determines the most appropriate front guards should be used, i.e., small rounded, pointed, or large upright?  Or, is it simply a subjective call of the owner and "supportive" friends who sit around, drink his/her beer, and watch him/her work on the car?

I seem to have seen mostly the pointed guards on our site and the internet.

Thanks,

Larry

Hmmm, if it was me, I'd consider no over-riders.  I'd look at the chrome strips to cover the seams.  Not sure if it's the best looking, but it's worth visualizing.  Considering that you're modifying the 74 anything is fair.

If you do use over-riders, I, personally like the 73 version.  They are less bulky-looking to me.

Thanks, Paul.  Over riders have already been removed from the rear and seams have been covered with chrome.  Like you, I prefer the '73 over riders in front.  Must start looking for same.  I wonder if chrome seam covers are available for the front bumper.  Never have seen them.

Thank you for the information and the source.  Now, if I want to use them, I will have to find front side pieces without the holes for the rubber strip. Could find very few photos of (Euro) front bumpers without over riders. 

For the bumper ends without holes for the rubber strips look for early 02's.  I think pre '71 cars are without rubber strips.  I don't think front over riders are a "factory" thing...I think this company made them to "match" the rear.

Yeah, probably to match the rear.  Somehow, I think I'd miss those front over riders because they seem to define a 2002 in some ways.  I looked at them for 34 years when I had a '73 2002 as my only car.  I miss that car.  However, I have the steering wheel from that car in my current '74 tii.  So I still can feel it...

Standard EURO cars AFAIK always came from factory with overriders on the front bumper (they´re Stoßstangenhörnchen in german by the way) and with chrome strips on the rear bumper.

Early standard overrider up to 71:

Harald 1.JPG

Later standard overrider from 71 on:

Blinker mit Niere.JPG

There might be different overriders for very early EURO cars from 66 or early 67, but as I´ve never considered it important I don´t know about that.

What I know is: People always want to have what the others don´t have. US guys search for the flat EURO turn lights whilst EURO guys have been keen on the "bubbly" US turn lights in the 80s and 90s. And like the german drivers of earlier Volkswagen Beetles often ordered the bigger "Amerika-Stoßstangen" with the additional chromed tubes some german 02 drivers also ordered the bigger US overriders that were available as an option over here.

About no one in Germany liked the later US big bumpers, though. They were nicknamed "Eisenbahnschienen" - railroad tracks in english I think.

Best regards, Lars.

It seems to me that if you want your car to look Euro-spec, you should look at some actual Euro-spec cars!

Here, for instance, is the cover page from the first square taillight Owner's Handbook, dated August 1973.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

I did look at photos of real Euro 2002's and saw the pointed overriders.  The photos initiated my concern that I might be using the wrong overriders.  Turns out, I was.  The attached foto of a real Euro is the one which first peaked my interest.  Thanks for your photo:  additional proof.

Regards,

Larry

74 Full Euro.jpg

My understanding from reading is that the over-riders on the car above ^^ are exactly what you should have.  My June '72 euro car has the same front bumper and pointy over-riders as the one above.  So sometime after Model 71 the over-riders went from smaller to bigger, and then stayed that way on the euro cars.  The rear bumper on my car doesn't have over-riders.  

Interestingly, Paul Wegweiser and I figured out that our tiis were built exactly one day apart.  His tii has the plastic intake runners, 121 head, and smaller bumper over-riders.  Mine has the E12 head, aluminum runners, and the larger, pointier over-riders.  

Scott

Edited by saaron

21 hours ago, 2002#2 said:

Thank you for the information and the source.  Now, if I want to use them, I will have to find front side pieces without the holes for the rubber strip. Could find very few photos of (Euro) front bumpers without over riders. 

If you (or anyone else) wanted to go down the route of a trim-less front bumper I have corners on a 71 bumper I would consider trading for similar condition parts (as I recall they are 100% straight and above average condition, possibly some pitting in chrome but been a while since I looked at the bumper and can verify).