Acid House

72 with Solex leaking - Rebuild Kit

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I think this car came with a 36/40 Solex, I believe its stamped that way -

OK: I took it apart and looks like its not the diaphragm.  There is a threaded hole at the bottom of the bowl with nothing in it?  I'm a little confused bc I was running the car without issues for awhile and suddenly had a huge leak when I got it back from some brake work.  IS there a plug of some kind that goes in that threaded hole?

Edited by Acid House

Something missing from the end of this piece?  Or maybe a drain plug?  Sorry if this is basic knowledge but I'm a little puzzled because the gaskets all look new.

Seems like stupid place for a hole and I'll gladly plug it if it serves no purpose.

IMG_2154.JPG

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.50.49 PM.png

Edited by Acid House

Bump - Anyone who has an early 36-40 know the size of this plug or where to get one?  I put a bolt and sealed but it leaked right out anyway.  Both my previous 02's had webers 

I took it out of the car view from below, I'm puzzled this piece just vanished...

image.jpeg

Edited by Acid House

20160730_180441_zpshtsylzr2.jpgwow, thats missing?! I have one laying around, PM me your address and I'll send it to you! BTM thats not just a plug! It's the enriching valve

Edited by arminyack

41 minutes ago, arminyack said:

wow, thats missing?! I have one laying around, PM me your address and I'll send it to you!

You are awesome!  

Its so weird, it was always running fine until I got it back from the shop for brakes which makes me wary of that shop, BC the part just disappeared one day and before then no leaks.  of course it could've rattled out while driving but still strange.

Check your PM in a minute.

Edited by Acid House

make sure the spring loaded loaded plunger that interacts with its moves up and down smoothly! if not, clean where in presses into the carb top cover with carb cleaner until it does!

9 minutes ago, arminyack said:

make sure the spring loaded loaded plunger that interacts with its moves up and down smoothly! if not, clean where in presses into the carb top cover with carb cleaner until it does!

I was wondering bc there is a fuel passageway down there.  The plunger moves fine but I'm cleaning this whole thing while its out of the car regardless.