15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi Everybody!

So I'm looking for some new outer and inner door to window seals (you know, the ones at the top of your door frame that the window slides against and prevents water from getting down into your door). Well, it seems that BavAuto has them for $407, rock auto only has URO parts so no thanks, Pelican has the outer weatherstripping for $73.50 (cheapest I can find for outer), and BMW for $404 for the set and $105 for the inner (actually cheapest I can find for inner)....Does anybody know where I can get some cheaper door window seals? 

They do! Wow! So is their stuff reliable? A couple parts they have double listed for different prices with no description...how do I know what to buy?

I was thinking about doing this myself. How hard of a job is it?

All I can say is you get what you pay for. The cheaper the price the harder to get to fit properly. 

Not all rubber seals

are made the same!! 

Test fit twice - glue once! And don't use too much seal adhesive or you will end up with a real mess! 

Good luck!

The outer seal is a long plastic piece that has a bit of fuzzy material running the length of it, and is folded & then slid into the aluminum trim piece that clamps onto the outer top of the door - no adhesive needed.  This replaces the rubber piece used decades ago that becomes rock-hard & can scratch the glass.

The inner fuzzy piece is held by clamps to the metal trim at the top of the interior door panel - no adhesive.

These pieces might be #s 1 & 4 in the diagram below.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/114-Sedan/USA/2002-M10/browse/bodywork/door_front_2/

lks.png

Well, it looks like #3 is the outer door weatherstrip and #4 is the inner door weatherstrip. (#3 is $149.16 :blink:). #1 is just "Door Weatherstrip"...I have no idea what that means as far as where it goes?

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 9.23.25 PM.png

#3 is the aluminum strip that clamps onto the top of the door, on the outside.  Contact the staff at BluntTech.com and get the straight skinny on what you need.

The part that seals the top edge of the exterior door chrome to the window is #8 in that drawing.  

I just received some from Blunt.  They about $30/ea and were soft rubber similar to windshield wipers, and sound like the old ones John_in_VA is describing - not the hard plastic ones with a fuzzy edge (which my car previously had, purchased from Paul W @ Max circa 1995).  Looking at my invoice, the part number is 51211847798.  Therefore, if you want the hard, fuzzy edged ones, be sure to specify that to whoever you talk to.

Edited by g_force

28 minutes ago, southgabimmer said:

^Thanks, ya, I just purchased those same soft rubber ones you're talking about from Blunt last night!

Thanks buddy  They just shipped this morning

is there instructions on how to get this rubber strip mounted in?   51 21 1 847 798

Does it need to be trimmed? 

They probably will need trimming, certainly the act of installing tends to stretch anyway. 

What you want to is slide the new rubber into the groove from one end but I could not find a way to do this. Instead I took a screwdriver and opened the slot out along its length to allow the new rubbber to be stuffed into the slot. Once done, I pinched the slot closed again with slip jointed pliers along the length. Place a few layers of rag between the pliers and the chrome section to prevent damage. I managed to ding my chrome in a few places by squeezing too tight. 

Mine slid right in, once I lubed them up with soapy water.  I also trimmed the leading end, so a small portion of the rubber extended into the gap between the trim piece and the vertical vent window trim.  I don't know if that was correct, but it looked better to me.