AceAndrew

What does your car's color say about you?

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

This particular article as about as useful as the daily horoscope to a group of inmates at your local jail.

Article reads like it was all made up by the writer.

A buddy of mine who was a Volkswagen executive told me that 53% of sales are silver cars.  What does that tell you. 

When I bought my Inka car in 1990 I wasn't sure I wanted to be seen in an orange car.  The bright color era of the 70s had faded and I was a  neutral color guy.  I'd have bought a Polaris 02 in a heartbeat. But I bought it anyway 'cuz it had silver and gold BBS rims.  That offset the orange enough.  Now I'm quite happy I bought Inka.  I really like the color.  Go figure.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

Paul, in total agreement. Strangely, it tries to put a positive spin on every color. Not sure that's always the case with color. As a friend of mine likes to say, "Darth Vader is black from head to toe for a very good reason."

Having been a graphic designer for way too long, one of the things I've learned about color is that it's far too difficult to be objective about something that is far too subjective. Along with the fact that the color orange is the only one on the spectrum that universally carries no baggage relative to culture, nationality and religion. That and never use the color brown when designing lunch meat packaging... ;)

Edited by 1972_Targa

5 hours ago, danco_ said:

This particular article as about as useful as the daily horoscope to a group of inmates at your local jail.

But it's quoting someone from the Pantone Color INSTITUTE, so clearly it's not to be taken lightly.

Paul, interesting note on Orange.  Would never have guessed.

2 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

buddy of mine that was a Volkswagen executive told me that 53% of sales are silver cars.  What does that tell you. 

It tells you that dealers order a lot of silver cars because it is a non-descript, non-offensive color for the masses that has a higher probability of moving off the lot faster. 

Edited by mlytle

30 minutes ago, mlytle said:

It tells you that dealers order a lot of silver cars because it is a non-descript, non-offensive color for the masses that has a higher probability of moving off the lot faster. 

Fortunately the fun cars are still available in fun colors.  Snapped this picture yesterday ....

27999793343_c3fb9e82be_z.jpg

But what kind of person are you if you own a collage of various colors at the same time:

Burgundy red

Medium blue

Dark blue

Black

Bright red

Maybe "well balanced" - or "just a little off center"?

If you have a metallic paint color, does that mean you have a sparkling personality?

Bought mine based on that the paint was original, not the hue, tone, or flavor.

Don't know if that makes me original but based on some past surprises I think it means I've gotten a little smarter

Edited by Fatherof3

It says I'm the schmuck that will but a used car I like in any color it comes.  With my 76 it just happened that I really like dark blue from the 70/80's.  So I resprayed it the original Artiksblau.  The 73 I recently bought  was resprayed Sahara from Inka by a PO.  Still don't understand it.  Go figure..... 

There's also a certain amount of fickleness attached to orange in that this isn't a car that you're going to invest in and drive for many years. 

Uh-huh...

Our 1971 2002, bought new in 1971 by my dad.

Sold in about 1983 to Roy Hopkins (after ~13 years of ownership)

Sold back to my dad in 1997 (after 14 years in Roy's hands)

Passed to me in 2002 (after 5 years back with my dad, for 18 years total ownership)

With me ever since (14 years and going).

Nope. No commitment to orange whatsoever...

-Dave

On 7/28/2016 at 7:36 PM, jgerock said:

But what kind of person are you if you own a collage of various colors at the same time:

hmmmm... what if just one car is various colors?  The '72 is originally Colorado, then some kind of medium blue...lastly RED.  ...oh, and the underhood and trunk are black, so, 4 colors. :)

Ed

I repainted my Sahara tii, Sahara and I like Sahara. I've seen a lot of 02's that have been repainted that the original color was Sahara.

G-Man

Sahara... that would be the original color code of my '71 (now Manila), annnnnnnd the '75... now some dark, metalic blue.

I think Sahara was voted "most likely to be repainted another color" in high school.  Seems that way, anyhow...