7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello All,

This is my first post.  I own a 1973 2002tii (VIN 2717012).  I've owned it for a while and it's a cool Euro model that I love.  It has square lights leading me to believe that it was an early production 73 model, but other than the rear lights everything looks to be a 71 model.  I wrote to BMW.  It was manufactured in February of 73 which means it should be a 71 model correct?  I checked the registry and by their build dates it shows to be a 71 model.  I'm beginning to think that the read end was hit and replaced with a 73 model rear panel.  It is a Euro model which is cool, but the other thing that tipped me off was that it has US model type license plate lights AND the small Euro ones in the bumper.  Let me know if I'm crazy.  To the Hack Mechanic: I'm really enjoying your book and I've loved reading your columns for years.  I wish you lived closer so you could see this car.  

--Thanks

If it was manufactured February 1973, it is a Modell 71 and it left the factory with round tail lights and aluminum front grilles.  It is not entirely un-common for these cars, over 40 to 50 years, to have acquired parts different from their original parts.  Nosepiece are one of the most frequently damaged panels yet they have been NLA for decades, particularly the tii snorkel-less nosepieces.

There's a now-Inka '71 for sale, and the topic of a recent thread, which has a square taillight nosepiece.  And there's a now-Polaris '74 tii currently for sale on eBay, and also the topic of a somewhat recent thread, which has had round taillight nose- AND tailpieces affixed.  So...join the ranks.  You just need to decide, at least longer term, whether you can live with the status quo or feel the need to return your car to its original configuration!

Although lacking the date specificity and color history of a BMW Archives report, the Columbia 2002 Club's VIN decoder is accurate and easy.  Try it:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

It's actually fairly easy to fit a round taillight rear body panel on a squarelight and vice versa.  If you look carefully at the light openings with the tail lights removed, you'll see that even on squarelights, there's a half-round opening that's part of the quarter panel--because the quarter panels on both roundies and squarelights are the same.  

With a 271xxxx VIN it's most definitely a modell 71 Euro tii; their VINs run from 2700001 to 2720114; modell73 Euro tii's VINs begin with 2730001 and run to 2740000.  

There was a time some years ago when roundie rear body panels weren't available new; your car may have needed one then so the owner simply installed what was available--or he wanted to "update" the look.

cheers

mike

14 minutes ago, mike said:

It's actually fairly easy to fit a round taillight rear body panel on a squarelight and vice versa.  If you look carefully at the light openings with the tail lights removed, you'll see that even on squarelights, there's a half-round opening that's part of the quarter panel--because the quarter panels on both roundies and squarelights are the same....

Just to illustrate Mike's point, below is the tail of my '76 (Modell 73), showing how the car's original round taillight quarter panels miraculously mate to its original square taillight rear panel!

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg