JFINK907

Please help! Early 68 2002 needing some identifying

38 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a 1968 2002 with VIN 1660016 which I just found out last night the VIN in US models start at 1660001! So I got number 16! How sweet! Now I'm trying to figure out if it has the original engine?? It has stamp 121TI on it. Because it has TI in thinking not but I have no idea. Please help. 

Also do anyway to figure out original interior color? I've read navy blue but don't get a legit source to back that up. Would love to bring this baby back to original as much as I can including the Polaris paint job down the road. 

Thanks for hiding and taking the time to help me

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, John_in_VA said:

The engine number is on the flat back by the starter - http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/166952-engine-number/

Get the manufacturing date and the original color from BMW Archives, via an email with the car's VIN to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

+1

What engine number is stamped on your block?  How about a photo -- in case you're not looking at the right spot, this would help us guide you?

The head is interesting, however, as it appears to have been cast December 1967 (12 "nubs" representing months surrounding "67").  This is early for a 2-liter head but perhaps too early for a 2002.  I'm wondering if your car got a 2-liter engine from a 2000 sedan after the original failed or wore out.  The same email to BMW Archives of your car's VIN could also include the engine number and you'd know where it originated.

All this aside, the sixteenth U.S. 2002 manufactured is a significant car.  I hope you've found the other threads on early '02's still alive and kicking here in the U.S.  And you should start searching eBay for the '68 '02 English-language brochure (below, dated May 1968)!

If the original exterior color was Polaris metallic, the interior was navy blue.  Please share the BMW Archives return email with the forum.

Congrats!

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

An early US 2002 would most likely have a 12/67 head and 121Ti is the correct head for this car.  Great find, show us the interior, does it have the wide no headrest seats?  Polaris most likely had the dark marine blue interior.

I thought the "0016" sounded familiar:

And, yes, assuming this is a February '68 production car -- my bad: I was thinking early '02's were April-ish -- I completely agree with Chris that the head is likely original.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

These are the books I got with it plus service manuals. And the thing was originally bought in WI!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Has all tan interior and head rests so it can't be original. Especially since it is a Polaris  well originally was lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

The head's the right AGE to be original, but that block stamping is quite a bit later...

if you really dig at the block, you may be able to find similar casting marks (usually a screw that was rotated, or something)

that help date the block.  Also, things like how the dipstick mounts to the block, etc, are indicators.

t

Is this a Tii dash because of the clock hole? If so what kind do I need? Isn't there multiple piece sets.?

image.jpg