Z3M

$30k for a 1971

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Yeah, a lot of work has been done to that car.  Is it just me or is that an odd color combination?

On July 25, 2016 at 8:26 PM, adawil2002 said:

Haven't seen Inka/Tobacco combo before.

+1

The highly-dependable Columbia 2002 Club VIN decoder states 2571518 is a January-March 1971 car.  My cheat sheet suggests early March 1971.

Colorado with Tobacco has been documented (appearing, for instance, in a French market brochure and on the 1971 all-models global color brochure, below), but I haven't yet seen Inka with Tobacco. And Inka was introduced sometime between this December 1970 brochure and October 1972, so the odd color combo and likely-too-early date suggest to me that the exterior and/or interior color has been altered.  As jmr mentioned, someone spent a bunch of dough "restoring" this car yet installed that square taillight nosepiece -- odd choice: one of several odd choices.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

I don't believe Inka was a 1971 color--and there are a whole bunch of incorrect things on what is obviously a meticulously restored car.  It's an early modell 71 car by its VIN (257xxxx) but has silver dollar instruments, no lower side moulding and a flag mirror.  And there's a tii engine under the hood...The carpet is incorrect for a tobacco interior--and tobacco and Inka were never together from the factory.  Should be a black interior with salt and pepper carpets.  The inner trunk side panels should be light grey, not black; the grey vinyl cover for the trunk floor between the wheel wells, and up the sides of the inner wheel arches is missing, as are the dust caps for the upper shock mounts.  A modell 71 car should have the four way flasher switch on the console, not to the left of the instrument binnacle.  It should have bulge style front turn signals, and of course metal grilles, not plastic ones from a squarelight.  I think all modell 71 cars had 12 fuses vs this car's six.  For for 30k you should at least get a period radio!  Didja notice they didn't remove the front strut spacers?

" you would think the car just rolled out of the factory in Stuttgart"  -- did Porsche build this car, or did the BMW factory move from Munich? 

" the extremely rare sunroof"  -- I'd guess 20% of 2002s sold in the US had sunroofs.

" Seats also have the rare dual headrest mounts that were a pricy upgrade in the day."   perhaps in Europe, but NTSHA required all US spec cars built after 1968 to have headrests, and these are the ordinary ones fitted to all US roundies.  

" With a simple turn of the key and push of the choke the fuel injected engine comes to life."  Gee, I didn't know tii engines had a choke...have I been missing something?

" ...a set of hubcaps if you chose to go back to the factory 13in wheels from the upgrade 14in wheels with the BMW crest."  Those "upgrade wheels with the BMW crest (sic) are bottlecaps from an E30... 

I hate to be so picky on what's obviously a beautiful restoration, but this was meant as a restoration, not an updated or modified car.  So, hey folks, if you're gonna spend that kind of money--and ask a premium price, then you should do your homework and get the details correct.  

Just my 02 cents worth...

mike

Don't forget the late model long console with the rectangular shift boot.

I mention this, in part, because I found that early seats (72) did not fit well with my long console (76).

That may be why the seats are placed back on their tracks.

I will say I appreciate the total lack of overspray in the body color.

It appears to have been properly disassembled prior to paint.

That inspires confidence in the overall quality of the prep done.

The number/quality of photos seems better than average as well.

I'm with Mike, positioned as a "perfect" restoration, but so many small oddities and imperfections (passenger side door pull chrome trim has detached from the door panel).  Still a very high standard of paint and body work, priced to recover the restoration cost plus a modest profit.

IMHO,

Mark92131

Sad to see that much nice work go into the car without putting the right nose it back on it.

Edited by Fatherof3

I have a 73 Inka with Saddle Interior. It's strange, but they do exist. 

Whadda ya expect from Stuttgart?

The wrenches at Munich built 'em correctly. 

The car is clean, presentable, probably sorted, and looks fine to most of the public. You have to remember who WE are in this group. It's a curse. 

Definitely a mix and match.  I LOVE the underside of the car.  I want my "bottom" to be that clean someday.

Tii? Sort-of.

16 hours ago, danco_ said:

I have a 73 Inka with Saddle Interior. It's strange, but they do exist. 

I dunno', Ryan.  I would believe that from a credible original owner -- and you are entirely credible in my opinion -- but I suspect you're not the original owner....

I know that people were swapping interiors from the beginning -- even at the dealership -- because, for instance, they REALLY wanted a black interior in their new Polaris '02!  And an '02 interior swap can be accomplished very easily.  In a certainly less dramatic example, my dealer volunteered to, and did, in fact, swap my '76's original FACTORY-INSTALLED front seats with the lowered front seats from a new sunroof car.  So my front seats might look factory, but they're not.  They are DEALER-INSTALLED, just as my car's FACTORY-INSTALLED front seats wound up in a Chamonix sunroof '76, where they, too, became DEALER-INSTALLED!  Most dealers were more concerned with making the sale than respecting factory color schemes and if a swap would solve a problem, it often happened.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv