• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Tii Clone

chargin

Yea I know there are no 1976 Tii's, now that that's out of the way......

A few months I decided I would bump my compression up from 9.0 to 9.5, after all I just had my head rebuilt and the car ran Great.

not wanting to have a car sitting for a long time I sourced out a good motor for a core from a local friend. Goal = 9.5 Pistons, Balanced, 292 Cam.

Easy enough.

Well I figured a little extra room would help so I called about a Tii Brake Booster........Yea he offered me the rest of the kit on a good price so I bought it.......

3 months down the road I will soon to be driving a 1976 Tii Clone Car, Clone not Clown, I know you were thinking it. I was 

IMG_6446.JPG

IMG_6448.JPG

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

So curious...was the intent to say, "It's the same engine as a Tii" when someone asked you?  Was it to get a fuel injected car?  Was it for more power?  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I would look up Kaptanoglu's  thread about trying a 292 with the k-fish on Sputter's engine.

I do not remember how it all turned out, but I think people have had difficulty getting non-stock cams to play well with the pump.

It sure is looking nice though.

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for adding confusion.  (3-28-2024)  

I'm no expert on Tii's by ANY means...but thats what I have heard.  Thats why I was asking those questions...maybe there is a better final solution...like sell the Kfish and Tii bits and slap in an e30 M10 FI system complete with a larger 325i throttle body.  Or maybe sidedrafts is the way to go in that situation...or maybe he just wants that Tii engine.  Yes its looking VERY nice!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

The best part about a Tii was the way it ran, absolutely smooth from idle to redline. They would pull from just off idle to redline in top gear and never miss a beat.  Changing the Cam, Air Cleaner, Exhaust manifold or distributor will change the air flow characteristics of the engine (remember it is just a big air pump) and the Kugelfisher Injection Pump will have no way of knowing there was a change in the airflow so it will supply the amount of fuel that it was calibrated to supply based on throttle position and RPM at the factory.  It will NEVER run correctly.   

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

46 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

The best part about a Tii was the way it ran, absolutely smooth from idle to redline. They would pull from just off idle to redline in top gear and never miss a beat.  Changing the Cam, Air Cleaner, Exhaust manifold or distributor will change the air flow characteristics of the engine (remember it is just a big air pump) and the Kugelfisher Injection Pump will have no way of knowing there was a change in the airflow so it will supply the amount of fuel that it was calibrated to supply based on throttle position and RPM at the factory.  It will NEVER run correctly.   

Properly set up, a stock tii runs like a scalded cat (or a chased Pokemon Pikachu).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

22 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Properly set up, a stock tii runs like a scalded cat (or a chased Pokemon Pikachu).

Yes but he's installing the K-Fisher pump on a long block with high compression pistons and a 292 cam.  Now the Tii may have similar compression so that may not be a big issue, but the 292 might....

I spoke to an old timer once that built and raced 02s since the 70s.  He was the builder of a FAST racing Tii in SVRA.  I asked him about the Kfisher and the obvious race mods to the engine and he said he tuned the Kfisher persona;;y and had been for 40 years.  Its possible.

Edited by jrhone

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Hello guys thanks for your input

I was "told" the Tii with the 292 cam is a good match since the 292 is so mild. A friend of mine is built quite a few of these with good results he was very confident with this approach

I wanted a Tii only because I was buying a Tii brake booster and was offered a good deal on everything else and I thought why not?

If not 292 I can swap back in the stock cam

and most Car Geeks don't even know there was no such thing as a 1976 Tii

image.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Nice work.  Brings back memories.  I had a friend that ran a '76tii around the East Bay (SF Bay) for years.   I remember the car well.  '76', chamonix, tan interior, BBS Mahle 6x13 wheels (was lowered somehow, either with lowering springs and or cut stock ones, but had the perfect stance), 5sp OD, Tii motor, Tii struts/brakes.  He was running a Schrick 292 in that car and it ran like stink......but was like a bucking bronco down low.  Really have never heard of anyone being able to get a 292 to run well (really well) in a 2002ii application.  Given the escaaltaion of prices in tii's quite candidily for someone that want s to get out and drive the sh*t out of their car is a good way to go. 

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

3 hours ago, jrhone said:

Yes but he's installing the K-Fisher pump on a long block with high compression pistons and a 292 cam.  Now the Tii may have similar compression so that may not be a big issue, but the 292 might....

I spoke to an old timer once that built and raced 02s since the 70s.  He was the builder of a FAST racing Tii in SVRA.  I asked him about the Kfisher and the obvious race mods to the engine and he said he tuned the Kfisher persona;;y and had been for 40 years.  Its possible.

Bill Holmes at Bavarian Rennsport would modify the KFish pump for larger Cams, but these were mainly race applications.  I would run it with the 292, see if it performs correctly, and swap in a stock Cam if it doesn't.  KFish tuning is part science, part alchemy, part witchcraft.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I hope Le can tune your car to run well both at idle and WOT.

I'm in the same boat. I have a tii with 9.5CR pistons, schrick 292, and schrick valve springs. I've spent countless hours and dollars tuning. I can get it to idle really nice, but at WOT, it lacks power. I can get it to have gobs of power up top, but idle is irradic and lumpy. I do believe you can tune them to be near perfect, but there will be a compromise somewhere. Your CO levels will likely be between 4-7% once tuning is complete. 

I will be closely watching your progress. If you can get it "right", I'll send my car to your mechanic and have the same tuning applied. 

Then maybe we can drive our cars into the sunset together. I'd like that. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards