JFINK907

Please help. Replacing rear axel boots

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was given boots with my car and they need replacing. Not sure how to get the boot actually on the half shaft. Anyone know?

image.jpg

Guest dq48

Yeah, Those are the wrong boots. You should be using the opaque boots that you can see the oil in,when they are installed.

+1 on the wrong boots.

The part at the right actually pulls off somehow (although I forget how, but it does come apart), revealing a sort of ball-hammer shaped end to the half shaft. Using witchcraft, heat and spoons, you somehow have to get the small end of the boot over that. "This is impossible", I hear you think. And it nearly is. But perseverance pays off, and oddly, the translucent yellow boots that you need are up to the abuse. An additional bonus is that you can see the oil level in there ...

Good luck!

Figured out how to get the boot on. Man that was a pain in the ass. I now know it's the wrong boot but it's gotta be better than no boot until I find the right one right? What's the differences in the different boots besides you can see the oil in one?

image.jpeg

Yea it worked. Still have them on with no problems. When you go to put them on it helped to flip the big side of the boot back on its self so you can fold it over easier onto the half shaft. Its a pain because its a tight fit but it worked well.