• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diagnosing dead speedo.

arowsell

My speedo died the other day and I could use some advice on diagnosing the problem. I'm wondering if I can check whether it's the gauge or cable without swapping the gauge. 

There's none of the usual clicking or rattling from a broken cable. But when I pulled it off the back of the gauge I could freely spin the inner cable and the inner cable seemed to easily want to slide right out. 

I have another gauge which I might replace anyway cause it has a working odometer but if the cable is the issue I'd like to replace while I already have everything apart. 

If you want to test the speedometer-- I spun mine with a drill and a bamboo skewer, while I had it out to fix the odometer.

The cluster is super easy to remove.

033.JPG

(my drill does 55 mph)

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

4 hours ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

If you want to test the speedometer-- I spun mine with a drill and a bamboo skewer, while I had it out to fix the odometer.

The cluster is super easy to remove.

033.JPG

(my drill does 55 mph)

Great photo. I borrowed your trick and it's definitely the cable. 

Edited by arowsell

On 23/07/2016 at 7:52 AM, PaulTWinterton said:

Yes, sounds like the cable OR the 8mm bolt that holds it into the transmission housing has loosened and the cable is not seated properly.  Wouldn't that be nice.;)

Guibo&TrannyMount2.jpg

I got the "new" cable in but its a little shaky when driving. Never got it up past 30mph but it seemed to shake a little. 

I'm not sure if it's seated in the transmission correctly. The collar sticks out a bit and there's maybe a couple mil of play in it. The retaining bolt just doesn't tighten, is that normal? 

24 minutes ago, arowsell said:

I got the "new" cable in but its a little shaky when driving. Never got it up past 30mph but it seemed to shake a little. 

I'm not sure if it's seated in the transmission correctly. The collar sticks out a bit and there's maybe a couple mil of play in it. The retaining bolt just doesn't tighten, is that normal? 

Careful on the shake.  Check the routing so there are no tight radius bends.  I've broke my second one since my original speedo died and I swapped in a different.  First was a funny routing in the cabin (under the heater pipes, then back up), second, I think was too tight at the bottom. 

Maybe third is the charm. 

The first one died 20 miles after swapping the speedo, the second only took 2 miles.  THe speedo was jumping a little, then died.

First one separated the end from the cable at the transmission.  Don't know what the second one has done.  Haven't pulled it.

I don't think mine had much play, but the bolt did get tight.

Does anyone know an easy fix for a speedo that just 'slowed down'?  wasnt the cable, I got proper reading after swapping.  Max speed it would register was about 30.  New speedo turned easily (not the reason for the broken cable).

FYI: I used a zip tie in the drill for testing rather than a bamboo stick.  Allow me to not be perfectly aligned.

How fast does your drill go?

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

57 minutes ago, xferboy said:

Careful on the shake.  Check the routing so there are no tight radius bends.  I've broke my second one since my original speedo died and I swapped in a different.  First was a funny routing in the cabin (under the heater pipes, then back up), second, I think was too tight at the bottom. 

Maybe third is the charm. 

The first one died 20 miles after swapping the speedo, the second only took 2 miles.  THe speedo was jumping a little, then died.

First one separated the end from the cable at the transmission.  Don't know what the second one has done.  Haven't pulled it.

I don't think mine had much play, but the bolt did get tight.

Does anyone know an easy fix for a speedo that just 'slowed down'?  wasnt the cable, I got proper reading after swapping.  Max speed it would register was about 30.  New speedo turned easily (not the reason for the broken cable).

FYI: I used a zip tie in the drill for testing rather than a bamboo stick.  Allow me to not be perfectly aligned.

I'll check the routing before I drive it more. The cable was looped up fairly tight when I bought it, that may have something to do with it. I slowly tried to straighten it and ran some oil down it. 

I can't tell if the end isn't deep enough or too deep. Do you know if the bolt is supposed to butt into the collar or pass by on the side of it and screw into the other side? 

I cannot answer that but would encourage you to get it as straight as you can prior to install... within reason.  Then, as mentioned, make gentle sweeping bends while installing.

Just out of curiosity, what did you lube it with?

(3-28-2024)  

6 hours ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

Just out of curiosity, what did you lube it with?

What is the recommended lube?

First one I didn't lube, second one I used Fluid Film  (works great on restoring rusty pliers, so....)

They're a bit of a pain to get any lube into.... (not much room between the outer and ends)  recommended methods?

thanks all

7 hours ago, arowsell said:

Do you know if the bolt is supposed to butt into the collar or pass by on the side of it and screw into the other side? 

I believe the bolt is supposed to go past the collar.

My second one was a pain to get started/seated.  I put a small pair of needle nose vice grips on the speedo end, called the girlfriend to give it a twist while I pushed, but when I showed her where/what to do, I heard it pop on the other end (it still had pressure against it), and when I checked the cable end had meshed with the transmission and was good....  thanks honey.