• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro-Spec Speedometer Overlays

bluebmw

Carefully designed for the 1972-1977 BMW 2002, these speedometer overlays replace the MPH display with the euro-spec Kilometer readout. They are printed with a matte laminate overlay, giving a close appearance to original.

There are 2 designs:

1972-1973 - Found in "roundie" 2002s without the white "crosshairs." These came after the early "silver dollar" instrument clusters. Correct for cars built between 1972-1973.

1974-1977 - Found in the late, square taillight 2002s with the white "crosshairs." Correct for cars built between 1974-1977.

These overlays only work with gauges from 1972 and later. Please look carefully at the photos to insure you have the same gauge cluster style. These are correct for the base/standard 2002. The 2002tii came with a 220kph speedometer, and the 2002 Turbo had a 240kph speedometer outside of the USA.

To install - First remove the instrument cluster from your car, then remove the speedometer from the cluster. Remove the two small black screws holding in the faceplate. Slide the overlay over the speedometer needle and carefully lay the sticker in place, ensuring everything is lined up properly. Re-install the two black faceplate screws, put the speedometer back into the gauge cluster, and there you have it!

$19 shipped anywhere in the US. International is an additional $5.

For more information or to purchase, visit bluebmw.com

Euro Spec Speedometer Overlay.jpg72 Speedo Overlay Illustration.jpg

Euro_Speedo_sidebyside.jpg

Euro_Overlay_Comparison.jpg

Edited by bluebmw

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

On July 23, 2016 at 5:27 AM, resra said:

Nice work. Thanks for offering the community these otherwise hard to get parts.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm just trying to give back to the best car community out there!

kind of a strange question but "have you tested the accuracy of the gauge after the MPH/KM conversion"  the reason i ask is because my MPH gauge has always bin of since 390lsd 15 inch wheels and 5 speed conversion for example when im cruising at 50 my gauge says 70mph?

9 hours ago, rover1 said:

my MPH gauge has always bin of since 390lsd 15 inch wheels and 5 speed conversion for example when im cruising at 50 my gauge says 70mph?

Some checking of your setup is in order.

The speedometer cable (and speedo input hub) calibration in turns per mile is stamped on back of the speedometer.

The speedometer cable to driveshaft turns ratio is 1:2.5 (the trans speedo gear ratio).

So you need to compute driveshaft and speedo cable turns per mile for your setup and examine the speedo to see what is the mismatch.  Only way out to fix is to get the correct speedo (or speedo gears but then confusion will reign later if the speedo is not marked with the new turns number).

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On July 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM, bluebmw said:

Carefully designed for the 1972-1977 BMW 2002, these speedometer overlays replace the MPH display with the euro-spec Kilometer readout. They are printed with a matte laminate overlay, giving a close appearance to original.

Neat product. But damn ... this probably brings down the value of the OE unit I have (for all but the discerning few...). -KB

9 hours ago, jimk said:

Some checking of your setup is in order.

The speedometer cable (and speedo input hub) calibration in turns per mile is stamped on back of the speedometer.

The speedometer cable to driveshaft turns ratio is 1:2.5 (the trans speedo gear ratio).

So you need to compute driveshaft and speedo cable turns per mile for your setup and examine the speedo to see what is the mismatch.  Only way out to fix is to get the correct speedo (or speedo gears but then confusion will reign later if the speedo is not marked with the new turns number).

What Jim said! Regardless of your diff ratio, 200kph faces are the same, what changes is the gearing inside the speedometer itself. First you need to sort out the calibration, then apply your KPH overlay.

• 1 month later...

I'm about 15 minutes into a search for a Canadian instrument cluster to pass inspection (importing from USA). These look great. Has anyone imported from USA to Canada, will these pass inspection? I've got a '72 2002tii, but the cluster goes to 120mph (which is 200kph).

Also, why would Canada have a different speed range than USA? Seems odd. 

1 hour ago, toedrag22 said:

I'm about 15 minutes into a search for a Canadian instrument cluster to pass inspection (importing from USA). These look great. Has anyone imported from USA to Canada, will these pass inspection? I've got a '72 2002tii, but the cluster goes to 120mph (which is 200kph).

Also, why would Canada have a different speed range than USA? Seems odd. 

I'm willing to bet these will be OK for importing a 2002 into Canada, although I don't believe anyone has tried it yet.

Where in Canada are you importing it? For some reason I don't think they care about the speedometer.