SteveJ

Extra wires on harness going to reverse switch on trans

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was just under my car, 5/72 tii, to change out the center bearing. Hard to believe it's been in there for 14 busy years. Lots of vintage rallies.

I must have forgotten, but there are what seem to be some extra wires on the harness that go to the reverse switch on the transmission. As my memory serves on my other 02's, the two reverse switch wires came down through the shifter hole from the inside of the cabin. On my car, the wires come through the side of the transmission tunnel and then are secured with some of those welded on wire keeper flaps in the tunnel. The harness is in a plastic sheath/tube. The two reverse switch wires pop out mid way by the switch, the remaining two wires, Brown/black tracer and Black (or black with white tracer), continue on another 20 inches or so towards the engine bay.

Curious as to what these wires were intended to go to. Couldn't really find anything on the schematics, and the ones on my car have not been connected in the 14 years I've owned the car.

20160720_164621.jpg

I also have those wires, that have no connection. I think they go to a sensor that let's you know the hand brake is engaged. I put some shrink tube on the exposed ends so they wouldn't short on the body. Car doesn't seem to need them plugged in.

15 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Curious as to what these wires were intended to go to. Couldn't really find anything on the schematics, and the ones on my car have not been connected in the 14 years I've owned the car.

I'm not sure if I have those extra wires but I have the wiring for reverse light which comes out the driver side trans tunnel. Will check how many wires are in the plastic sleeve and report back.

1 hour ago, Ringworm02 said:

I also have those wires, that have no connection. I think they go to a sensor that let's you know the hand brake is engaged. I put some shrink tube on the exposed ends so they wouldn't short on the body. Car doesn't seem to need them plugged in.

The handbrake switch wires pass to the handbrake from the back...under (or maybe in front) of the rear bench... on a '76 at least.

Oh boy- this topic bubbles up every now and then.  Neutral safety switch wires.  Seems many tii's have this extra set of wires that once were connected to a switch on the shift tower.

...and the late smog cars had a switch on the shifter platform, too, I THINK for either a 'neutral OR a '4th' switch

that refizzled something under the hood to make the poor thing pass US smog.  I've found a couple of shift

platforms with the mount for the switch (never the switch, oddly)  and sometimes extra wires.

May or may not be relevant, here...

t

I have them too.  You mean I'm missing some "original" part from my car?  Oh my, I can't have that.  Who do I give money to?

Could the neutral switch have something to do with the seatbelt buzzer circuit(s)? 

Edited by PaulTWinterton

Great!

Cut and heat-shrink it is......or...do I leave them dangling to keep the car original. 

I must be sure to photo document these wires to show that my car is MORE original than the next one.

Could mean big cents.