2002newb

How to id a cam

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

So finally got a moment to finish tearing the head off my e30 donor, and upon closer inspection it looks like someone has replaced the cam in this car. Unless Dr Schrick came stock in this chassis :)

Cant tell you how excited I was to see it nestled in the head, but now the question is what cam is it? Should i pull it out for inspection, or just put the head on the 2.0 block and give it a try? This will be a turbo build and as mentioned before this head is VERY clean. 

IMG_1994.JPG

Ok thanks will see if I can see anything. Wonder if the pistons are stock, they didn't look like my 02 pistons but then it has been months since seeing them so maybe they are the same. 

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

Those look like 318i pistons- 320 after 79, E30M10.

You need to look on the nose of the cam- you'll probably have to take the sprocket off.

If you google schrick cams (maybe put 292 in, as well) you should find Schrick's website-

it has very comprehensive cam info.  You can, for example, find the base circle, (smallest dimension of lobe), measure the nose of the cam, (biggest dimension)

subtract base from nose, and compare that number to their charts and have a very good idea of what you have....

-Schrick cams have the actual grind on the front nose of the cam. (Dang it, Toby beat me).

-Bear in mind, a hotrod cam is not always best for forced induction.  Generally speaking you want longer duration, not lift, with a turbo.  Additionally, you may want to have the valves tested.  Stiffer valve springs are nice on a turbo engine if you decide to up the PSI a bit.

-Those pistons are stock for your engine.

- Also, just take note that late model M10 cams have the distributor gear moving in the opposite direction.  You can not just slap your 2002 distributor and call it ok.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks gents. Will have to look into the cam further to ensure it will work for what i have planned. Had intended on sending this head out to get a new cam springs and possibly rocker arms - with the lack of machinist around thought it best to get all the things that might be needed at one time - but then the cam was found. 

So finally tore the single row sprocket off - not only to try and ID the cam but to replace with the double row for the 2002 head - and couldn't see any markings to help. 

Am I looking in the right place?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg