jdt10768

dash swap compatibility

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Probably been covered, but I could not find exactly what I'm looking for with a search:

What dashes are compatible (direct swap) with cars of different years?

for example: will a 1 piece from a '74 swap into a '70 that originally came with a 3 piece dash?

flame suit on

To the best of my knowledge they are all interchangeable.  A one piece dash will definitely fit in a '73, but I can't answer definitively about a '70.

10 minutes ago, MatthewCervi said:

To the best of my knowledge they are all interchangeable.  A one piece dash will definitely fit in a '73, but I can't answer definitively about a '70.

I have heard the opposite - that a one piece dash will NOT fit in a 73.

I've been wrong once before :), but if that were the case I would have had one in my 73 years ago.

1 minute ago, bmdubl02 said:

I have heard the opposite - that a one piece dash will NOT fit in a 73.

I've been wrong once before :), but if that were the case I would have had one in my 73 years ago.

I have first-hand experience that it does indeed fit.

1 minute ago, MatthewCervi said:

That's awesome! I just learned something.

Thanks I think as now I have to look into a new project....

52 minutes ago, MatthewCervi said:

No issues to speak of with fitment?

Can you elaborate a bit more?!

2 minutes ago, jdt10768 said:

No issues to speak of with fitment?

Can you elaborate a bit more?!

You'll want to take out the windshield to make things easier, but beyond that I don't recall any complications.  The only problem I can think of is that the labels for the switches won't all be in the right places; you can either live with that or carefully remove the labels.

The two heater/defroster slider switches also present an issue as you move from one style of dash (i.e., 1-piece, 2-piece, 3-piece) to another style.  Don't ask me to recall the details but some slider fascias attach to the underlying steel dashboard support while others attach to the padded dash itself.  And isn't there something different about the various instrument clusters?

Short form?  You can conceivably make any dash fit any car -- I think!  It doesn't mean it will be pretty, but it's certainly do-able.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

They will all install into the cars.  They 'fit'.  (except for mixing the early 3- piecers, see below)

The complication is indeedy with the heater sliders- the 3 piece dashes don't have removable metal trim plates,

while the 2 and one piece ones do.  And the fan switch moved to the lower dash on later dashes, from the instrument cluster surround.

And lights showed up, too, I THINK with the 2- piece.

It's all adaptable, but you will probably want dash and heater controls from matching vintage cars to make it easier.

The caveat that I have is that the earliest 3- piece dashes were different than later 3- piecers, and they don't

mix and match in how the instrument surround fits.  I THINK the later ones had ribs in the non- driver side tray, but don't quote me.

Anyway, the parts interfere and don't fit together around the instrument surround, and it leaves an ugly gap.  Jenn's STILL a bit cranky

about that, 18 years on, as it's what I did to her car, not knowing at the time that I DIDN'T have a matched set...

my '02,

t