• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before and after?

Tom W

So I am in a slump in my resto project, The heat, the rust repair, I am even losing track of the reason I wanted to start and finish this little 02. I need some inspiration, anyone willing to put up a before and after pic of there car for some inspiration, Thanks!

I only have a "before" photo as I'm in the middle of putting things back together... even if I were to share the "before" photo, the car looked good, so the whole scenario of seeing a lump of crap (before), then a shinny 2002 (after) doesn't work out for me so well.

Once you get over the hump of cutting out rust and on to reassembling stuff, the work will start to feel much more fulfilling.

I'm at the point where I can't wait to get back in the garage and continue work... back in the rust days I didn't have the same sentiment. Keep you head up!

/pep talk

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

What did your project start off like?

I can sure understand the frustrations of working in the heat... last year I was rebuilding the front end of the '75 (bushings, ball joints, etc...) during a couple of 113 degree heat-index days.  That will sure sap you, if you're not prepared.  I know of several of the FAQ members are not too far from Pell City, AL... maybe you could have a "Beers&Wrenches" day and knock out a couple projects?

Here's what the '75 started out like... doesn't look horrible, but no brakes, clutch would barely engage, ran horribly, broken exhaust manifold, sun-scorched paint, leaked fluids everywhere...

75 at POs.jpg

I polished the paint so I could keep my motivation and think, "well, at least it shines up nicely" (excuse the flipped picture)

75 hood half polished.jpg

Here it is, almost 18 months later, after a lot of mechanical repairs and tweaking, she's no show car, but it's a pretty nice driver... heck, even the AC works now. :)

75 Cosmics III.jpg

Keep your head up, these things take time.  If it were easy, any dumb "stance" punk could do it...

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

wow... can I just delete my post, now... ?

Gorgeous cars...

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

DQ48, the first car with Alpina fenders, how hard was that to do as I need to get on the rust in my car.  My rear quarters are toast and if this is an easier repair than welding new sheet metal I may break down and buy the IE bits to do this.  Well on top of the trunk floor, rockers, floor pans and strut towers for the rear of the car.  Wish I had some pictures to show because I think the op would feel he has an easy project. Also how wide are the wheels on that one?  Car looks good in white. 

Nice response guys, definitely some motivation! I have the car on its side as of now and only have just a few more hours of welding and cleaning before I can spray the bottom. The inside cab area is also sanded and ready to paint. The engine bay is also sandblasted and lightly primed, so that should go fast as well. I am always amazed at how much you can do when you hit it hard for a weekend and how long it can sit with nothing getting accomplished when you put it on the back burner. Thanks again

On July 20, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Henning said:

Desperately missing Steven's (Conserv's) 76...

hen

Hen,

I will need to lie about which photo is before and which is after.  The '76 is languishing in North Carolina as it receives its first re-paint.

First photo is April 1977, er...I mean....today.

Second photo is at the paint shop, I mean...."as found", parked in a barn somewhere in the American heartland.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My tii started at as an authentic tii shell that I transferred all my parts into after bumper conversion and repainted.

Hang in there, it's worth it in the end.

G-Man

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner