johnpompa

Unidentified hose

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all,

I recently found this hose on my garage floor, under the engine compartment of my '76 California '02. Nothing appears to be missing from the top view of the engine compartment. I have yet to look from below the engine. The hose is about 3/8" diameter, 18" long and somewhat ridgid. The ends have some, but not a lot of fluid on them. Any tips on what it is? Thanks!

IMG_5007.JPG

Does it smell like fuel?

Perhaps it came from the fuel return line, which has been disabled?

There is a steel hardline that runs back to the tank, which is sometimes disconnected, when emissions stuff is removed.

The steel line connected to rubber, down under the battery tray.  The line is about 3/8".  My best guess is that this is the line that ran from that steel line, up to the 'diverter valve' which split the fuel going into the carb.

My valve was removed and the line to the tank plugged.

I would check and make sure your return line is plugged, or parking on a hill can drain your tank.  So I hear.

(just a guess though.  that line looks a little skinny)

Tom

Charcoal cannister vent to air cleaner? or Windshield washer fluid?

Those would be my guess. Both of which should reside on the passenger side of the car.

The original hose for the vapor recovery plumbing that went into the steel line somewhere under the battery tray is one of those cloth-covered fuel hoses.  The radiator overflow hose is plain rubber.  From the curve in the pictured hose and the fact that it's plain vs cloth covered, I'd vote for radiator overflow.  

BTW, the factory cut 'em just a little short.  When coolant does overflow via that hose, it ends up pooling on the lower nose sheet metal that's just below the radiator.  Better that you should get a slightly longer hose so that it ends below the sheet metal, in the vicinity of the sway bar.  Less chance of rust that way.

cheers

mike