20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Photos of the latest race car build just-before it loaded onto the transporter. (Many thanks to Mike for coming down to shoot these fine photos; a portfolio of his fine work can be found at http://www.mikevillavisuals.com ). A day after the car reached its destination, it was decked-out in a Warsteiner tribute livery). Perhaps in 2017 I'll get back to that coast and race with and against it. -KB

pw-hero-front.jpg

grille-air-dam.jpg

rear-panel.jpg

aero-latch-open-1.jpg

engine-top-view-1.jpg

brakes-front.jpg

rear-subframe-1.jpg

pw-cockpit-1.jpg

pw-seat-belts-1.jpg

pw-hero-decals.jpg

Edited by kbmb02
(photos added)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great build Ken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous car.  Equal part show and go right now.  I hope you use more go :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost (I said almost) too pretty to race!  

 

That's a very cool dashboard--did you make it or is it adapted from Something Else?  Regardless it's very neat--especially the second binnacle for additional instruments and swtiches.   If readily available, it would make a nice replacement for folks whose dashes are toast, with no affordable stock replacement.  

 

Again, a great build.  Be careful out there on the track!

 

cheers

mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mike said:

Almost (I said almost) too pretty to race!  

 

That's a very cool dashboard--did you make it or is it adapted from Something Else?  Regardless it's very neat--especially the second binnacle for additional instruments and swtiches.   If readily available, it would make a nice replacement for folks whose dashes are toast, with no affordable stock replacement.  

 

Again, a great build.  Be careful out there on the track!

 

cheers

mike 

 

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

 

That dash is adapted from a CSL sold by Ireland Engineering. It takes a bit of fitting on the ends and around the windshield, but fiberglass shapes pretty easily.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-body-chassis/fiberglassdash.html

 

I've talked with Jeff about adding a component for race car applications. To be continued.... -KB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken, very nice work on the car.  Super clean.  Someone is going to be really happy with that car.  A number of folks produce the Gruppe 2 dash and console that is made of fiberglass (homologated for use in o2's).  This is one that Ahrend is selling.

 

armaturenbrett.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Job Ken , Car looked really good at Willow a couple of weeks ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, markmac said:

Ken, very nice work on the car.  Super clean.  Someone is going to be really happy with that car.  A number of folks produce the Gruppe 2 dash and console that is made of fiberglass (homologated for use in o2's).  This is one that Ahrend is selling.

 

 

 

Hi, I produce the fiberglass dash, also. It is one of a few parts to save weight in a ´75 group2 racecar. 

It seems to me, that early FIA Homologation Plays no role in this race series of that car. The car is so different from every seventies FIA rules. But I am interested in that rules, maybe someone can help :-)

I like that car, it Looks really cool, made with love ;-) I also like the style of the frontspoiler, really nice work, impressive!

Is there no glas in the doors?

 

W.

 

Group2 Dash.jpg

Gruppe2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, whs.de said:

 

Hi, I produce the fiberglass dash, also. It is one of a few parts to save weight in a ´75 group2 racecar. 

It seems to me, that early FIA Homologation Plays no role in this race series of that car. The car is so different from every seventies FIA rules. But I am interested in that rules, maybe someone can help :-)

I like that car, it Looks really cool, made with love ;-) I also like the style of the frontspoiler, really nice work, impressive!

Is there no glas in the doors?

 

W.

 

 

Fortunately, nearly all vintage racing in North America is not subject to the draconian FIA rulebook.  VARA, HSR, HMSA, SVRA, SOVREN, etc use their own set of rules that generally allow for limited amount of innovation and practical adaption.

 

That car is beautifully prepped, someone will have a lot of fun with it.  The E9 CSL dash is a great classy touch.

 

 

Edited by AceAndrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whs.de said:

 

Hi, I produce the fiberglass dash, also. It is one of a few parts to save weight in a ´75 group2 racecar. 

It seems to me, that early FIA Homologation Plays no role in this race series of that car. The car is so different from every seventies FIA rules. But I am interested in that rules, maybe someone can help :-)

I like that car, it Looks really cool, made with love ;-) I also like the style of the frontspoiler, really nice work, impressive!

Is there no glas in the doors?

 

That's a good-looking dash unit.

 

No glass. No FIA rules. To summarize - and this is merely an opinion based on not-an-abundant-amount-of-racing - I'd say that many/most race organizations over here are about racing vintage cars which are built in the 'spirit' of the day (allowing for some modern parts, obviously). On shape and size, the cars don't look all-that different than what were seen on the street. There are organizations which feature race cars which actually raced in the day - perhaps more similar to the rules* you refer to (*a fair share of imagination goes on there as well). whs.de, you can check for an example rules on the SVRA or VARA websites.

 

Anyway, this is neither a soap box nor a critique. In my mind, racing is about fun, competitiveness, and a beer when the track goes cold. Here's one more photo of the car on track. -KB

 

 

pw-on-track-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now