• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New owner just saying hi 1973 2002 tii/turbo

Huge2na

Hello, let me just say I am happy to join the vintage BMW world that my wife will soon call the money pit. 

By pure accident I came across a decent specimen that I will spend a few months tinkering with and

hopefully getting it on the road for more then the 5 miles I put on it last night. 

I purchased a 1973 2002 tii, I was skeptical after talking to the seller on the phone. On the phone the guy told me it was turbo yada yada yada, said it was not hooked up and then that it was hooked up. The entire 450 mile drive I was wondering if a car was even at the place I was going. Call it faith, I kept going. 

We were led down to an industrial park in Foxboro Mass right behind Patriots Stadium at 1AM (BTW there was a Luke Bryan concert last night)

My wife and daughter in the jeep, I was waiting for Aaron Hernandez or one of his associates to mug me and take all my money. 

What actually happened was I got the car, And it is turbocharged and intercooled, aftermarket of course but looks older, in place of the clock is a boost gauge.  It has Alpina wheels, no sunroof. 

I parked it at the hotel overnight and I could not sleep thinking someone was going to steal it overnight. I slept 4 hours then got back on the road. I just got back 2 hours ago. Will update the post if you are interested. 

bmw.jpg

Edited by Huge2na
updated

Welcome!

The best year! ;-)

Looks very nice!

We need more pics and specifics!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Great!  Turkis metallic!

Welcome!  Email the car's VIN to BMW Archives, requesting their data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). You won't get a lot, but it's easy and free and fast! It will confirm the car's actual manufacturing date and the original color, among other things.

Get it running and driving -- if it's not already -- and take your time getting to know the car as you develop a plan. You'll need to figure out, among other things, how the turbocharging was added: I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum has seen a similar setup, whatever that setup might be! But, for instance, most U.S. tii's had a 9.0:1 compression ratio, higher than you might like for a turbo back in the pre-electronics era.

You will have fun!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Looks very nice indeed--and the turbo setup is a definite plus, whether you keep it or not.  Hard to tell from the photo, but is the color Turkis (turquoise)?  If so that's a very uncommon color.  There's a sticker on the right inner fender near the VIN plate that should tell you the original color.  

'73 tii's VINs began with 2762630, so that'll give you an idea of exactly where yours falls in the year's production, which began around 1 Sept of the preceding year (1972, for '73 cars). 

Lotsa expertise and friendly folk on the FAQ, so don't be shy about asking questions.  The board's archives are a wealth of information too--there's a good chance your question has already been discussed, so check the archives for some good info.  

And yeah, '73s are one of the better years--original roundie body design but with the least emissions stuff on 'em.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My heart is breaking . . . . 

At least no snorkel.

Edited by lilmo

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

20 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

There's definitely a turbo in there... But is it connected to anything? I also see what looks to be a downdraft carb and K&N style filter. Confusing, curious to see more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what he said... I see the turbo but where is the air going back in to the engine? :blink:

19 hours ago, Huge2na said:

I purchased a 1973 2002 tii, I was skeptical after talking to the seller on the phone. On the phone the guy told me it was turbo yada yada yada, said it was not hooked up and then that it was hooked up. The entire 450 mile drive I was wondering if a car was even at the place I was going. Call it faith, I kept going. 

Re Read first post. no your turbo is not plugged in ( at least it looks like your exhaust is tapped in to the turbo but the air does not seem to make its way back to the motor.) Unless you have photos of the other side hiding a secret inlet????

Also, I Could be wrong, i have been before, but don't ti & tii models have dual side drafts?

either way, sweet come up 

Edited by MrAdams

2 hours ago, Huge2na said:

IMG_20160718_154857.jpg

OK!  But not exactly what I was expecting!  The fuel injection system is not installed, and I suspect the head is not a tii as it has a mechanical fuel pump.  (Of course, the lack of pre-drilling for a mechanical fuel pump is just about the only way a tii 121 or E12 head differs from a non-tii 121 or E12 head!) The turbo is not hooked up on the intake side, but conceivably might still be engaged on the exhaust side.  So...it's hooked up; it's not hooked up!  e21 radiator.

The Turkis metallic paint is on top of Polaris metallic paint, but the Polaris we see in the engine compartment is, itself, a heavy, sloppy over-painting.  The car's original color is under there somewhere!

Lots of snooping around to do here!

Congrats and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)