otisdog

Another Kugelfisher question

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have recently begun the task of bringing back to life my '74 tii which has sat for 21 years, the result of the ignition switch breaking the same week I got a E36 M3. Removing the gas tank and peering inside was interesting - although there was definitely a shellac smell, the interior of the tank looked new. Good start.

Bought a 30 mm thin wall socket to crank the engine over, and that also went well. So I removed the four cylinder covers on the Kugelfisher and dripped some marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and let it sit for a couple of days. When I went to spin the motor by the crank, the Kugelfisher pistons didn't move...no problem, I have an extra belt. Removing the upper plastic inspection cover revealed an intact belt. Hmmm...

So I saw what I thought was a little 'slop' in one of the pistons, and ended up removing a 'piston shaped object' that also had a very thin washer under it, and then maybe the piston? But I'm still not seeing any up and down movement of anything in the bores when I spin the engine over...

The car ran well when the ignition broke, so I'm pretty sure that the K-fisher is okay internally....can someone provide some insight as to why I'm not seeing any piston movement?

Your throttle's closed?

Doesn't the kfish vary the stroke based on power required?

t

Yes, you need to open the throttle completely to let the pistons move all the way down. Fuel volume is controlled by the stroke of the piston, it ALWAYS gets pushed all the way up but when it needs to deliver more fuel it goes down further increasing the volume.    You might also need to help them go down (there is not spring pushing them down, that is done with fuel pressure that is why you need 26psi in the system for it to work correctly).

+1 Gordon.  I had my KF rebuilt & injectors serviced by Fairchild last year.  

With your KF sitting quietly for 21 years, the condition of all the internals (rubber and otherwise) should be looked over.  Cheap insurance for long-term mental health.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

So I cranked it over with the throttle WFO, and there is no change in the piston movement. Tried pushing them down and they wouldn't move. So any other thoughts as to why my pistons aren't moving?

I actually have a NIB pump that I'll use on the restoration. Until then I just want to get the car running and registered. The car was running fine before the ignition broke...I find it hard to believe something mechanical broke while it was sitting there. The pulley on the front of the pump is definitely turning, but I've spun the crank over 3 full revolutions without seeing any pump piston movement....it's 1:1, correct?

Otisdog, recommend you look at this:

You can remove the fuel delivery valves, remove the suction valves underneath them (USE TWEEZERS DO NOT USE A MAGNET), and gently push downward with a non-marring rod like a wooden dowel or a pencil eraser. The pistons should push downward against the springs. If you spin the engine, you should see them move, but not by much, As Preyupy said, the wider the throttle is open, the more they should move. But if you haven't removed the suction valves, you won't see the pistons.

Also recommend you look at this:

There are lots of things to go through before pulling out the kfish pump and having it rebuilt. That's really the last thing to suspect, not the first. 

Note that, with ethanol in modern fuel, the injectors can easily stick open and leak. If a tii has sat for many years, it's worth pulling the injectors and sending them to be tested. Note that testing is a different thing from rebuilding. Any competent diesel injection shop can pressure- and leak-test them.

--Rob

Recommend you send your Kugelfischer fuel injection pump

to me.  I'll forget you ever sent it to me.

If you'd send the rest of the tii bits, too, I'd be even more obliged.

t

who's going to start counterfeiting tiis if this market keeps going like it has...

On 7/19/2016 at 10:12 PM, TobyB said:

who's going to start counterfeiting tiis if this market keeps going like it has...

Me, but just for me, not to sell as a Tii

IMG_6122.JPG not to