DGJ

Looking for a small starter for the 2002

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm trying to develop a 'stealth' EFI system using dual Weber DCOE (junk carbs, that have been gutted) side drafts on a Korman manifold as throttle bodies , with Simple Digital System injector bungs welded underneath the DCOEs, such that a quick view of the engine compartment would appear to provide a 1970s period dual side draft carburetted 2002. 

Unfortunately, I've got a clearance problem with the injectors on the rear carb hitting the starter.  I've already installed 0.5 inch spacers between the manifold and the carbs, and would rather not add another spacer.

I've seen a lot of references to gear reduction and S14 starters, but has anyone pulled together a complete list of BMW (and aftermarket) starters that would fit - and provide a smaller diameter?

Thanks,

I guess this has been discussed a lot, but I haven't seen a complete list. I installed an S14 starter in my first tii, and it's lighter, smaller and more powerful. Not sure if it will solve your clearance problems, but I doubt that any other M10 starters are much smaller.

How much clearance do you need?  The S14 starter is significantly smaller in diameter.

It looks like the Korman manifold is pretty damn short from what I can find.  You could use a much longer manifold like a warneford (what I have) and maybe not use a spacer.

But yes, the S14 starter is quite small.  It does sit up higher on the engine so it's centered on the hole, so not sure how much clearance it will gain you.  Your best bet is to find a parts store guy that will let you look through some Bosch boxes. The SR71x stock starter can often be S14 sized in the smaller casing of it, just depends on randomly what you get from Bosch. Also the SR440x or 441x I think are probably sure bet for getting a small one, but double check that.

Edited by KFunk

Does anyone have a listing of models that the smaller starters were used on?

ive had good luck with sr441x  starters and is much smaller than stock.  generally easy to find a picknpull too.

find one on ebay, it will then give you all the applications in the description

The thing is, you want a small starter from an M10/M30 vehicle.  And that pretty much means the E30 M3.

The M42 starter (E30/36 318) is also smaller, but the M42 has a slightly smaller ring gear, and the 'projection'

into the bellhousing is less.  It technically works, it just doesn't work 'right' as the gears only mesh on about half the

width of the flywheel.

fwiw.

t

Attached is a photo of a stock 1973 BMW 2002 starter and an SR440X, below are dimensions (accurate, but definitely not precise

Stock SR440X    
Weight:   16.8 8 pounds, scale 1
Weight:   16.2 7.7 pounds, scale 2
Starter Diameter:   3 31/32 2 21/32 inches  
Solenoid Diameter:   1 15/16 2 7/32 inches  
Starter Length:   7 3/4 6 7/8 inches, from flange to 'nub' at end of starter
Solenoid Length:   6 3/8 5 1/2 inches, from flange to end of threaded stud
overall radius:   4 3 7/8 inches, from centreline starter to outside of solenoid:  

The shorter solenoid length has provided the needed clearance to the injector for cylinder #3 but I've still got interference with injector #4, as the overall radius (starter and solenoid) is effectively the same between the two starters.  Some grinding on the injector boss should resolve this issue.  Touch wood!  Doug

DSC_0528.JPG