Sign in to follow this  
0016Guy

wheel fitment

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

I just bought some 13 inch 4.5 stock steel rims and i was planning on getting them widen to a 6 inch, but i found out i have upgraded brakes. the e12 528i calipers and 320i drums in the back. so the wheels don't fit at all right now, is there any combination or anyway i can set these stock wheels on this setup?

Those stock 4.5 x 13 wheels should clear the 320 rear brake drums, as 320s used 13 inch wheels also, they they cleared the drums.  

What you need to determine in front is whether the calipers actually hit the barrel of the wheel (the part that the tire is clinched to) or whether the problem is the wheel's offset.  I do know that tii calipers won't fit under 4.5 inch wide wheels, which is why tii's use 5" rims.  

But...IIRC, 2002 turbos used E12 front calipers and they ran on 5.5 or 6 inch wide 13" wheels, so the calipers you have should work with a 13 inch diameter wheel, just not those narrow rims you have.

Have you considered using 14 inch wheels from an E30?  There are at least two different alloy styles that are 6" wide, and the steel E30 wheels are 5.5"  All have the proper offset for use on a 2002.

mike

8 hours ago, mike said:

Those stock 4.5 x 13 wheels should clear the 320 rear brake drums, as 320s used 13 inch wheels also, they they cleared the drums.  

What you need to determine in front is whether the calipers actually hit the barrel of the wheel (the part that the tire is clinched to) or whether the problem is the wheel's offset.  I do know that tii calipers won't fit under 4.5 inch wide wheels, which is why tii's use 5" rims.  

But...IIRC, 2002 turbos used E12 front calipers and they ran on 5.5 or 6 inch wide 13" wheels, so the calipers you have should work with a 13 inch diameter wheel, just not those narrow rims you have.

Have you considered using 14 inch wheels from an E30?  There are at least two different alloy styles that are 6" wide, and the steel E30 wheels are 5.5"  All have the proper offset for use on a 2002.

mike

So what your saying is the bmw stock steel 14 inch 5.5 rims would fit?

(edited)

Yep, they should.  E12 5ers used 14 inch diameter wheels, so E12 calipers would have to clear 14 inch wheels.  A set of 14 inch steel or alloy wheels from an E30 should work on your car--and there's a much better selection of tires available in 14 inch than 13.  And of course 15" wheels with the proper bolt pattern and offset (there should be guidance on the FAQ) will give you an even better selection of tires than 14".

And painted silver with the little Euro center caps, those 14" E30 steel wheels look very Alpina-ish and period for an '02.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike